Saturday, June 14, 2014

Teaching my son to mountain bike?




LovNmyBoyz


I have recently gotten into mountain biking. I am no expert, nor do I have the experience to do anything other then short (1 hour) long trails/bike paths. I have taken my son that last 3 times (He is 5, 6 in Dec) and he loves it! He is not big enough to fit a child size mountain bike yet and I want him to stay with it riding his current bike but it is a BMX Type bike and I am afraid he is going to get used to using it and not want a mountain bike for Mountain bike riding. Any suggestions?

I have a Mountain Bike and I will be upgrading to a MYKA HT (have cheap walmart bike) in the near future and don't want to make him feel bad because I can do things he can't with his bike (Climb a Path)
I also want to help in his skill development, need suggestions or websites on how to teach a child to mountain bike.



Answer
Trek and other companies make kid size bikes.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/collections/kids/models

What is a good mountain bike for a kid?




LuckEDog


OK. so I am 13 (turning 14) and i want a new bike for my birthday. I have found one that I like, bt i would like to get some more suggestions. rules: has to be below $400, large enought for a 14 year old boy, and good looking. Tank you for your helo!!!


Answer
You want a hard-tail because full suspensions are junk at this price and unsuitable for most people (heavy and squishy makes riding harder).

The Trek 3700 is the type of thing worth looking at. Giant, specialized, kona, and most of the good brands have entry level models under your limit, but be prepared to spend most of it. All these brands are equal, so brand isn't worth getting hung up on. As long as you go to a real bike store and not a department store, you'll end up with a decent bike.

All bikes come in several sizes and one size will be good for you. The bike shop can help fit you, but ideally if you stand over the top bar with both feet flat on the ground, you should clear it by 2-4" to have a good fit. You might consider a bike a bit too big mind you, or you'll outgrow it by next year.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment