Monday, October 28, 2013

How do you ride a bike without training wheels?

best kids push bikes on best sellers the new york times best sellers children s books ...
best kids push bikes image



Linda


I am nine and I can't ride my bike without training wheels! I have not rode it in years.I really want to ride it because I don't have any training wheels and I got a brand new bike that is my favorite color. I didn't want to until I went to the park and saw my friend and I was chasing her while she rode a bike without the spare wheels. Now I really want to! I will try her way tomorrow after I get to my house, but if I can't hang on to her way i'm taking my scooter to the park. If her way doesn't work, best answer deserves a lot of credit.


Answer
Well first of all, training wheels are for little kids. I doubt they even make them in a size you would need.

But actually training wheels are obsolete. The new way to teach a kid to ride a bike is what's called a 'gravity bike' (and I have NO idea why it's called that. It makes no sense to me. But that's what they call it.) What you do is take the pedals off a bike. You lower the seat so you can put both feet flat on the ground. Then you push the bike along with your feet. They make bikes for little kids that don't have cranks or chains or anything, just two wheels and adjustable seat height.

You push the bike along with your feet and learn to balance and steer. After not too long you could coast down a mild hill with your feet off the ground, you can steer by leaning without putting your feet down. Then you're ready for a real bike with pedals.

Training wheels will get you pedaling and all that, but you're not really learning to ride a bike, which has to do with balancing and steering. It's something nobody can teach you, you just get a feel for it.

The 'gravity bike' idea has resulted in kids learning to ride at a much younger age. In my day we all learned around 5 or 6 but these days I see three year olds on bikes! Which I think is great! I've never heard of a nine year old learning that way, but why not? A person your age actually has better balance than a five year old, so it should be even easier.

Riding a bike is a lot of fun! I do it almost every day. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Get a helmet, though, and expect to fall two or three times before you get good at it. It's all part of learning.

Should I let my 13 year old son buy a dirt bike?




darcy


we live in the city but he has a few friends that ride them and own land not to far away. He had an accident on his push bike last year which caused a blood clot. But that was from doing jumps. i just don't want to have that quilt of him getting servilely injured again. He said he will only be doing trail riding or farm, and hes willing to pay for all saftey gear and bike.


Answer
If your kid has an interest in motorcycles it may never go away. Studies (Hurt report and others) prove that those who ride and live are the ones who start young on small trail bikes and moved up gradually through the ranks. Sadly, if you do not let him learn the right way now, he is several times more likely to suffer serious injury should he get to be 30 and then buy himself a big street bike without having the proper experience. However, with the proper training and gradual steps up in motorcycle size he has a 98% chance of riding for an entire lifetime without a bad accident.

I MADE both of my kids ride dirt bikes often at a young age under my watchful eye though neither showed any special desire to do so. I couldn't live with myself if they died on a Harley 10 years from now and I hadn't done this. Both are very capable and responsible now and show no tendency towards riding dangerously or taking silly chances. Both now enjoy it and enjoy the time we spend together doing it too.

I say go for it, but consider getting one for yourself too so you can be there to supervise for a while. At least keep a watchful eye on him for a month or 2 to make sure he isn't too much of a "show off" with daredevil tendencies. After that, turn him loose and let him spread his riding wings on the farm with his buddies.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment