Saturday, November 2, 2013

Why do people HATE New Jersey?

best kids bike store nyc on Bundespr�sident unter Druck: Wulffs TV-Offensive ger�t zum ...
best kids bike store nyc image



KLD it.


I personally think it is a gorgeous, diverse state. Yeah we have our slummy parts, but who doesnt? People fail to see the miles and miles of gorgeous beaches, farmlads, acres of pine trees, and the Appalachin Mountains. Plus, your never, ever, more then an hours drive away from anything you want. It has 4 of the richest counties in the country, and the shopping capitol of the world!

Yet there is never any shortage of people ready to say they hate New Jersey, that it smells, it's dirty, and it's dangerous, all simply not true! I hate when people from PA try to say "we should blow up NJ and give PA a beach, it smells when ever we cross the border." (to them I like to say, because you don't know anything better then cow sh*t)

My question is, why do people hate NJ? and for those of you who talk trash about it, have you ever actually been here? or past the the highways you have travelled on?



Answer
I moved to New Jersey from Virginia about ten years ago. I was surprised at all of the beautiful countryside, the mountains, the forests, and all of the beautiful places. But in general, my experience in NJ was generally negative compared to other places.

For example, In Virginia I lived at the beach. I used to spend a lot of time at the ocean. In New Jersey, I had to pay every time I wanted to go to the beach. I was shocked when I first heard that and I'm still shocked ten years later. It's a huge turn-off when you're used to going to any beach you want on either coast without even considering a fee.

Also, the cost of living is a total shock unless you're coming from DC, Boston, or parts of California. You can easily pay $350K for a two bedroom cape cod if you don't want to commute for an hour. I had 4 kids so two bedrooms didn't cut it. And my wife raises our kids, so we had only one income, meaning $350K was out of the question, yet we needed at least 4 bedrooms, not two.

And finally, I had a hell of a time whenever I wanted pizza after midnight, people in stores and in traffic were generally unfriendly to strangers in comparison to most of the country, prices on dining, furniture, and clothing was much higher, there was no local broadcast news - only NYC, or Philly in the south, I could go for miles and never find a convenience store if I didn't know where to look, NJ vehicle inspections suck, the major highways had tolls, and for all the talk about being close to NYC culture, most people in NJ rarely ever went to a show in the city or any of the other cultural events.

I recently moved to what most NJ residents would consider a nightmare. It's a large midwestern city. I have beautiful manicured boulevards, I'm in a beautiful new house that would cost over $1 million dollars in NJ, I have more restaurants than NJ ever offered, at a much lower price, my property taxes are 1/3, I can take my kids to NFL, NBA, etc. without traffic and without hurting my pocketbook, I get almost as many national performance acts at half the cost, food is cheaper, clothes are cheaper, the school system is the best in the state, and people are FRIENDLY. Kids ride their bikes in the streets and neighbors sit out front in the evenings and share their lives. People are walking their dogs and stopping to meet or catch up with others.

For me, NJ was a stepping stone. I'll miss friends, I'll miss some beautiful countryside, but otherwise, compared to many other places I didn't find it a good place to live.

What is there to do for free in NYC?




HONEY


Ok , so I'm from San Diego and my bf is a native nyer. Yes, straight from NYC and you can't get the city out of him. However I have become increasinly antsy with NOTHING to do. Friends aren't so much an option b/c all of the people I get along with over here are guys..and the women I get along with usually live far and have kids..so they are dealing with their own stuff. So...what is there to do for free? I'm simple. I even like getting out to run an errand across town.
Heck I will even go to the park but the weather here kind of blows, no offense...so what is there to do?! PLease refrain from including things that cost money.
For instance, in San Diego, I can go hiking..go to the beach, go to balboa park, head down to tijuana (and have a blast for about $10),go up to the mountains and bring a sled and go sledding..or skiing (I don't care for skiing though), I can take a blow up raft and head over to a lake..go mountain biking...the list goes on..all stuff that is free or costs next to nothing.
Here I feel like there isn't crud to do. Even when I'm down to spend a good chunk of money..I feel like it's easy to see everything at once here. You do empire, statue, wax museum, art museums, rockefeller, etc. All stuff that's kind of boring to begin with..and then what?!??!
HELP :) Best answer gets 10 easy points. Stupid answers will get a thumbs down and be reported so answer wisely.
Thanks a lot..but NONE of that stuff is free! To go to PA or NJ I have to rent a car at $90 and pay for the rest of our activities. Also...how should I walk down in Brighton Beach when the weather sucks? LOL. I'm not talking about it being cold..but like when it's raining! Thanks though.



Answer
this site has a list of free things to do in the city including walks, hikes, movies etc.. if you let the weather stop you you'll never get out and do anything...this is a walking city girl, get walking! We gave beaches, get on a train and go into Brooklyn to Brighton Beach and walk along the boardwalk into Coney Island, it's quiet and beautiful this time of year.. go shopping in the Russian stores... there are lots of neighborhoods with different things to do. and to get into Tijuana you'd have to wait on the long line through the border, so get in a car and take a trip up to Bear Mountain or the Adirondacks, go white water rafting in parts of NJ and PA, do the research on where you can bring a raft to do this...

edit the bronx zoo is free on wednesday's I believe,
The Museum of Natural History has an ice skating rink that is 10 including skate rentals...

edit: I hear you ,but you would have to spend gas in San Diego to get to where you are going right? Become a member of ZipCar here and you can rent a car for 25 bucks a day I think... No it's not free but get your boyfriend who insists on staying here and keeping you from SD (use the guilt, this is NY it works here) to cough up some dough...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment