Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Is it legal to ride a small 50cc dirt bike on the sidewalk?




Lil Jordan


I am buying my son a pw50 dirtbike and I want to take him on the sidewalk around the neighborhood right by my house. Not on any sidewalk by any busy public roads or anything. Just by my house and the neighbors' houses. Is that legal in California? Even with a small child on a small bike (with all the safety gear and everything)? I've seen youtube videos with little kids riding on the sidewalks and in front of their houses, but don't know what states they are in. If not that, can he still ride on my front lawn and driveway? My backyard is not huge and I want my son to have a ton of room to ride without having to go to a track/trail/OHV area all the time. Are they also legal on beaches where there aren't too many people?


Answer
A 50cc bike is a motor vehicle (by definition, a "motor driven cycle"). It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle on the sidewalk anywhere in California. Veh C 21663. However, unless there is some applicable local ordinance concerning the operation of motor vehicles on private property (and there may well be some zoning restrictions), I don't know of any law which would be violated if he rode on the driveway or in the back yard. It is illegal to operate motor vehicles on almost all beaches (I know of only one exception), and a license would be required on any beach where operation of a motor vehicle would be permitted.

BTW, there ARE places where riding a bike on the sidewalk is permitted, if done safely, including the City of Los Angeles.

Are 50cc gas powered dirt bikes legal for kids aged 13?




William


I'm 13 years old, I've been thinking about getting a gas powered dirt bike for kids, there are trails about 40 blocks away from my house, I plan on riding there, doing a jumps, and riding back. Is it legal to do that?


Answer
XYZ is correct as are the others.
Your parent will have to haul the bikes the 40 blocks to the trails. You cannot operate this on the road. Illegal.
I will give you credit for asking before making the decision to spend money on a motorized toy.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment