Tuesday, June 10, 2014

At age 5, would you allow your kid to ride bikes up and down the road?




kristina s


All the neighborhood kids who are around the same age are allowed to ride up and down the road to different houses as they please. I am extremely uncomfortable with this (even though I am his step mom). Our street is not very busy but there are cars who go quite quickly sometimes. Plus, I don't know the neighbors here well enough to feel safe. I hate to tell him no because then he can't hang out with his friends, but I do tell him no because I'm just not comfortable. My husband's mom tells me that I need to just let go because that's what you do. So I feel pressure from her to go against my instincts. Am I over reacting or is he just too young at 5?


Answer
I had the same worries when our youngest was 5 and we moved to a new town. I compromised a bit, allowing my son to ride his bike on our road from "this house" to "this house". I later extended his space a few houses further, and now he's allowed to ride the whole block (he's 8). As I met the neighbours I found out that most of them had similar boundaries. Our road is not busy, but we live in the country so the cars that do drive past sometimes drive too fast, and the road is gravel with really deep ditches on each side. I worried a lot, but I talked to my kids a lot about safety, and paying attention to what's going on around them, and taught them to stop their bike and wait for a car to drive past them. I watched closely until I started to feel more confident. So, go with your instincts because only you know how busy the road is, how real the danger is, and how responsible your stepson is. You could just tell him he can only ride if you're outside watching him, at least until you feel more comfortable. And if you find a neighbour whose judgement you trust, talk to her about your worries and see what rules she has. Good luck!

Help me pick out a road bike!?




Nick


I am looking to get a road bike from Bikesdirect.com

My budget is maximum $400 (preferably within the 300-350 range though)
Ive been saving for a while, and a $400 bike is about the best I can do, I'm only an 18 year old kid :P

I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be looking for exactly- But if you guys can help me pick out a road bike from bikesdirect for around my price range, and explain why, that would be realy cool!

PS: Not too keen on bright colored frames... White, black, yellow, red are the extent of my color spectrum :P



Answer
A used bike from a bike shop, Trek 1000, Specialized Allez... You can't get anything new of quality on that budget.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment