Thursday, April 3, 2014

How heavy this GMC Denali Boy's 24-Inch Road Bike?




Friend


Hi,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU68S2

I ordered this bike online from Amazon.com, for my 9 years old boy. I looked at several different options like Trek KDR 1000, FUJI ACE 650, Felt Kids Road. I am not sure how tall my son would be in next 2/3 years. So spending $675-800 for 2/3 yesrs may not be wise.

At the same time this GMC Denali Boy's is only $150 very inexpensive, cheap bike too. I want to know, is it a piece of Iron Tank, heavy junk or really have light weight 7005 aluminum frame?
Or it is a Heavy Iron Tank MTB with Dropped Handle bar to fool proof as Road Bike?
Dear W W, I appreciate your word "rather I save for anoce bike' then to buy a gurbage at cheap! I thought this million time because I love Road Bike. I a bikist I did not wanted to buy this Iron Tank. On the otherhand, a 9 years old boy hardly will understant Road Bike is not for abuse and street jumping like MTB. Yes, I have the same plan to get a GT,Felt or Trek in next year or so for my son. I personaly ride Trek Road.
Dear W W, I appreciate your word "rather I save for a nice bike' then to buy a gurbage at cheap! I thought this million time because I love Road Bike. I a bikist I did not wanted to buy this Iron Tank. On the otherhand, a 9 years old boy hardly will understant Road Bike is not for abuse and street jumping like MTB. Yes, I have the same plan to get a GT,Felt or Trek in next year or so for my son. I personaly ride Trek Road.



Answer
well the estimated shipping weight is 33lbs. I'd surmize from that, it's about 27lbs. that's heavy for a kids road bike. also, the GMC label is licensed to Pacific Bicycles, the largest manufacturer of Wallywood junk bikes. I've read the reviews on many of these specials, and have encouraged would be buyers to do the same. these bikes are crap! despite the stars and accolades of the purchasers, one needs to read the full review! most of them tell of mechanical issues within the first WEEKS of ownership. have I needed work on my high-end bikes? yes, but not within weeks of owning them, and never have my gears not shifted, nor have my brakes failed! I have seen these bikes on the sales floor at wallywood and target, and am appalled! they have visible gaps and cracks in the welds! I would have spent the money on a better bike. actually, I did. I just paid $300 for a Gary Fisher PreCaliber, for my 9 yr old daughter. she's already endo'd, but the bike made it through! only the chainrings got bent from the crash, which my LBS repaired, no questions. by the way, the GF is lighter than the GMC, and it has a suspension fork! also, the components on bike shop bikes are readily available at bike shops. the components on wallywood specials are not standard, and are hard to come by. in some cases, you may have to wait for garbage day, and salvage them off of a discarded bike! if you're still reading this, you're probably telling yourself Im just some other rich, elitist cyclist. you couldn't be more wrong! I'm a chef, and I dont make a ton of money. I am passionate about cycling though, and would rather save until I can afford a nice bike, than go with a POS wallywood ride! fortunatly, I have 3 nice bikes. so I shouldn't be without a ride whilst saving for a new one!

Good to buy a bike?




terse


I am going nuts trying to buy a bike. I am going to bike shops and getting very conflicting information. I don't know if I am getting fed a line of BS because someone is trying to make a commission or what.

My situation is that I am a good athlete that is new to cycling. I had a bike when I was a kid, but haven't been on a bike in years. I am a 30 year old male, 6'2" and 240 lbs. I am not looking to join the X-Games or Tour de France. I want a good bike that I can ride around on for excercise and enjoyment, mainly on pavement, but would also like to be able to go off road a bit. I would ride 3 to 6 days a week. One salesman told me the Trek Navigator 3.0 was the way to go. A different shop told me the Trek 7200 hybrid. Another shop told me to get a Gary Fisher mountain bike. Last shop I went to was hardcore about a Fuji bike. I am trying to educate myself and make a smart purchase, but it is difficult with all of the conflicting information.
A lot of great information here. To add a few notes:
When I am talking about going offroad, I mean a dirt trail in the woods. It is not specifically a bike path. There are some places with rocks and big roots to go over. It is nothing dangerous looking though.

I don't really a pre-set budget. I am not opposed to spending good money as long as I am buying the right thing. Ideally I would like to stay under $2,000, but that is not my main concern.

Is there a certain size bike you suggest? I think it can vary between mountain bikes, hybrids, etc.

Thanks again for all of the great input. If any of you guys that work in bike shops are in the New Jersey area, please let me know. I'd be happy to buy my bike there.



Answer
Very good answers here for a change.

I'll just add a few pieces...

I would personally suggest you go for a mountain bike. The hybrids or cyclo-cross bikes are fine, but seem to do neither terribly well.

The only real problem with riding a mountain bike on the road is rolling resistance. You'll work harder on pavement, but so what. If it is for fitness, who cares.

Moutnain bikes are certainly more comfortable. Later, if you want to do a triathalon, or become a roadie, you can invest in another bike. Mountain bikes are very good all purpose bikes, with good versatility and can take abuse.

You fall into what is affectionately known as the Clydesdales -- a big guy. Still, most anyone under 300 pounds won't have an issue with a frame unless you are dropping off of cliffs, getting big air.

And yes, bike shops absolutely will try to sell you on the their bikes, and disparage their competitors. Margins are slim, and bike sales are flat right now.

Your BUDGET will go a long way toward determining what you need. Do not go for a $200 Wal-Mart or discount bike. But, you don't have to spend $2,000 either. You can probably find a very nice hardtail that would meet all your needs in the $8000-$1100 range, perhaps less.

The vast majority of "name brand" bikes are made within miles of each other in Taiwan. They are all perfectly good, and offer good value. Bikes from Giant, Specialized, Trek, Gary Fischer, Kona, etc are all good choices.

I like Mountain Bike Review (link below). You do get biased opionions, but can at least screen the bikes you are looking at, and see if users have noticed fatal flaws. Read up, and you might be able to narrow your choices.

Try the bikes you are interested in. It's rare these days, but some shops do have demo models you can borrow or rent.

Don't be afraid to ask if they will discount a bike. There is a lot a shop can do to earn your business. Just reward them with your service needs later.

Good luck!

EDIT: Have a shop size you. It's the best way, and you can then feel the difference in person, rather than using the formula from a book.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment