Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Can you please name me some safe, luxurious places my wife and kids can live?




Ryan K


I live in Albany New York right now working as a stock broker. I made the money, now I want to move out of my small apartment and move to somewhere safe and nice.
Thank you for your time and effort.
Ryan Kung
I am not spending over $5mill.
For all I know, I could get foreclosed and be sent on the streets.



Answer
Ryan,

Congrats on being in the current position you're in, getting ready to enjoy the fruits of years of your hard-earned labor. Being a combat veteran, I realize more than most that happiness is paramount, and a few years ago, I was blessed with enjoying the same opportunity you now face. The world was my "oystah", and I could live wherever in the world that I chose. For me, there was no other choice than the mountains of western North Carolina.

I now live in a town with a population of less than 24K, and can honestly say that, having travelled extensively and having lived in FL, CA, GA, and in the Raleigh area (Cary), I can't imagine ever living anywhere else permanently. If I can offer you any advice, I would say that your choice of where to live really depends upon what you guys are "into", the type of environment you envision being best for your children to grow up in, and what (if any) kind of employment you would be seeking once living there. Discuss with your wife the family activities you feel would make you feel happiest, then target the "best" locations worldwide supporting those activities.

If you enjoy outdoor recreation - hiking, biking, snowboarding/skiing, whitewater, or simply camping while visiting national parks & forests - look to the mountains. If beaches are your thing, obviously look to coastal communities. Although you do not want to live in the city proper, you will eventually have to visit one nearby, as smaller towns in rural areas don't have all of the amenities you'll find yourself needing. Whatever part of the world you decide you would prefer to live in, figure out what you feel is a reasonable drive time to "the big city" and base your search radius from it's midpoint.

For most people, it's a scary proposition to pack it all up & leave their comfort zone; if all you two feel at this point is excitement at the prospect of leaving, that's great - it means you're ready to leave & not look back. If that is the case, I hope two very useful resources for your research will be the list of US Chambers of Commerce located at www.50states.com and International buyer resources found on the source website below. If you like, you may also review some of my previous answers to other folks' questions by clicking on the profile picture for more relevant info. If more questions, please feel free to ask.

Take care, Ryan - and good luck!!

Schwinn Meridian Trike?




Loosid


Anyone have any feeling on this? Overall basic reviews are pretty solid everywhere I have looked but I'm a real bicycle novice. I am also very overweight and I would like to ride bikes with my kids plus I really miss riding bikes! Thanks in advance, here's a link to view it...
http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=00611132000P&sid=&psid=



Answer
I think it depends on your reasons for choosing a trike.....and on just how much "very" overweight you are & your level of fitness. That Schwinn is one of the cheaper versions of adult trikes...not horrible, though. They're all quite heavy and weigh in the 50lb range give or take, even the better quality ones, and of course they're as heavy as a tank when compared to normal 2-wheeled bikes. But, despite their weight it doesn't matter quite as much until you put steeper hills into the equation (harder pedaling and they take longer to come to a stop). I think they can be a lot of fun, and there are also a lot of good reasons for some people to choose a trike over a bike.

If you're not like super overweight and you can walk around the block n such, then this one might be ok. I'd recommend one with at least three gears, though, and of course better quality ones will be nicer overall...and a bit more expensive. If you weigh more than 225lbs or so, then you need to choose more carefully and look for the mfr's max weight rating. Some max out around that level but there are plenty that will handle 300 or as much as 500 pounds total weight. They also come in different wheel sizes and frame heights if stepping up is difficult.

Torker makes a nice multi-speed that uses an internal gearing hub instead of the cheaper and maintenance-required freewheels/derailleur....pricier but much better: http://www.torkerusa.com/bikes/utility/2012-tristar

Workman Cycles and Sun also make some good models, and this site has some others: http://www.tririder.com/

Kent bikes are sold at Target, Amazon, and a few other outlets, and they're about the same as Schwinn, maybe a touch nicer for some models, and in the same price range. If you think you'll want a nicer trike or might ride it a lot/keep it around for a long time, I'd spend a bit more if you can.

Also, if you aren't worried about keeping your balance or whatever other reasons a trike makes a good choice for some people, I can tell you that most normal hardtail mountain bikes will hold people up to about 250-275 pounds with just a part swap or two. I had a good friend who was a touch over 300 pounds who rides some expensive lightweight bikes (mountain, road, and downhill), and he's never really had any issues other than using a decent wheel and stout seatpost...he also weighs about 210 these days, thanks to riding his bike!

Get out there and be a kid with your kids. :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment