Monday, March 31, 2014

best beginner dirt bike?

Q. i am 14 6 foot and weigh 200 pounds and i am wondering what kind of dirt bike i should get, i do mostly trail riding but i also do a lot of hard packed dirt roads and trails, i have ridden dirtbikes before but i have always been a atv man. i want something that wont come on to strong but will also go good when i give it to it, and i would rather a 4- stroke also. please any information on dirtbikes would be great thank you.


Answer
Well your a pretty big kid plus your still growing so you shouldn't get anything less than a 400.
My best recommendation would be a 450 trail bike. You could also get a yzf426. But don't get anything under a 400 cause it wont be able to pull someone around your size with ease plus you'll grow out of it rather quickly.

Beginner Commuter Bike?




crash_usnr


With the price of gas as bad as it is and not likely to get better in the long run, I'm considering learning to ride and using a bike as my primary commuting vehicle, at least in good weather (I live in the Denver area). My commute is about 25 miles, one way, and generally takes about 30-40 minutes, mostly on highways, part of it rated at 75 mph. I've never ridden a bike as an adult but did ride a dirt bike a couple of times as a kid, and (don't laugh) had a moped in high school. I'm 44 years old and a pretty big guy, 6'1" and 240 lb, 31" inseam. I doubt I'm going to be intimidated by a fairly big bike, so am thinking about a cruiser in the 500cc-750cc range as a first bike. I'm wondering what kind of features I should be looking for and which brands/models I should be looking at. Also want something that won't require a lot of maintenance - the whole idea is to stay inexpensive. Don't really want a sport bike, either - I don't want to ride bent over. Thanks for your suggestions...


Answer
Any one of the four major Japanese bike manufacturers has something to offer in that size range, and there really aren't any unreliable choices from them. So the most important feature to look for is going to be the way you, personally, fit on the bike. Take a look at this link (warning, lots of pictures, so it will take a while to download on dial-up) to see a man about your height sitting on a wide variety of bikes and reporting how they fit him:

http://www.beginnerandbeyond.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=380&sid=8a2c8730aaa7b6093658e89b070e152b

Personally, in the range you wanted, the Honda VLX seems to fit me best. I'm also pretty tall.

Features to look for:

Forward controls. These put your feet out in front of your knees. You will have to decide if you like them or not - I personally prefer having my feet under me.

Shaft or belt drive. Needs less maintenance than a chain.

Wheels. Wire wheels need periodic maintenance. Cast aluminum ones don't.

If your main objection to sport bikes is the riding posture, you may wish to take a look at a Ninja 250. This one has a much more upright riding position and has plenty of get up and go if your main goal is fuel economy. Plus, I'm about your size and have found the Ninja 250 to be somewhat more comfortable than most of the cruisers in the size range you are looking at. Same with the Ninja 500.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment