Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Bikes without training wheels.?




anyaha04


My daughters are 6 ans 5. They recieved bike for Christmas. Well, the bikes do not have training wheels. What is the best way to teach them how to ride their bikes. I live in an area that has alot of traffic and I live in an apartments complex. Any ideas would be wonderful!!!!!


Answer
mine came off training wheels at 4. I held the back of their clothes till they found their balance. We made a game of it by seeing how far they could ride before putting their feet down then they would try to beat that spot. Most important they have to have full grasp of the brakes and how to use them. Take them to the park for the first couple of months till they are fully confident on their bikes. Make sure they have helmets on. Don't feel they are too young. I know many kids who are 3 and off training wheels. Good luck

Bike + Train Wheels + Time?




NOZ


How much time between getting a 2 wheeler with training wheels and taking them off do you think is needed? I said to my dad, that I'm thinking about taking 1 train wheel off in July (my son just got his bike March 20) and then I assumed by next year he would take both of them off.

My dad said that this was a horrible idea. He said you need to take them both off at the same time (which OK, I can get) but he said that my son should be using the bike without train wheels in 6 months after getting it..

What do you guys remember or what did you do for your children? My son thinks he's a pro on his bike and likes to go as fast as he can just so he can skid to a stop, but he has a balance there already for him.. I really don't think he can do the bike without the extra wheel.. When should I take them off?
Raising them! I didn't know they could do that! I think this is great! I may do this now.

I still don't understand how my dad thinks he should be completely done with them in 6 months time. Maybe he'll be right but I won't know until I try this raising thing. Awesome! TY!



Answer
I am only going by what I have observed with small children riding bikes. But what I have noticed is that after a lot of time spent on the bike the training wheels start to bend upwards. I have seen little kids zooming down the street with training wheels inches above the ground...but the wheels are there to catch them if they start to tip over.

So, I would assume that there is either a way that you can raise the wheels or bend them upwards so that are supporting your son less and he can practice balancing while still having the training wheels to catch him.

I agree with your father, do not take off one wheel. If you son tips in the direction of the missing wheel he is going to fall over. So, he may compensate by intentionally leaning towards the remaining training wheel all the time...which is going to mess up his balance.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment