Monday, March 31, 2014

What pedals can fit my old Japanese road bike?




Carl W


I would like pedals with straps instead of the regular pedals. It's an old Nishiki olympic 12 speed and I don't know what the thread size is. The bike shop had 1/2 and 9/16 but I would think the pedals are metric. What should I buy?


Answer
If you already have metal pedals you can add the toe clips and the straps.

1/2 and 9/16 are the standards even for countries with metric system. Yours will be 9/16. 1/2 is used only for kids bikes and beach cruisers.

Your bike shop could have told you that.

What is a good motorcycle for a short girl?




just call


Hi everyone. I'm living in Virginia Beach, VA right now. I'm a 20 years old and 5ft 2in. female. I'm taking a basic rider course in less than a month but I already know I don't want a sports bike. No offense! I'd just rather start out with a cruiser type bike. :)
I already mentioned how short I am, I've climbed onto some bikes and I always feel like a little kid. I'm looking for a non-expensive bike that can take a bit of a beating (I'm afraid I'll be dropping it a few times before I get the hang of it). Something that will take me around town cruising and to/from work. Also, I've always wanted to ride home to Chicago on a bike, so it should be good for long distance travel (maybe?). I am excited to hear some options, thanks!

J



Answer
The problem is the combination of factors:

Short, inexperienced, and looking for a cruiser that can go long distance?

You will probably have to either sacrifice the ability to go long distance right off the bat, or sacrifice the cruiser style. If you want to be on the freeway for any decent amount of time, you will need a heavy bike otherwise the wind just pushes you around. I can ride my 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R on the freeway at 85-90mph (usually only go 70 due to speed limit) but after maybe 10-15miles my hands hurt as the vibrations are decent at that speed for the small bike, and my arms are tired to keep the bike straight as the wind tries to push you over.

So if you have your heart set on a cruiser, due to your size I would suggest a Rebel 250 or a V Star 250. I think a 500cc or bigger would be a lot for a petite frame to start with.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment