Wednesday, April 2, 2014

At what age do most kids learn to ride a bike with training wheels?




junebugbab


My oldest son is 4 (as of June) and we got him a bike when he was 3 and he just couldn't figure it out.. He barely started riding right around his birthday and now he is doing much much better. It does have training wheels of course.

His younger brother is 2 1/2 (turned 2 at the end of April) he immediately showed jealousy of and interest in his brothers bike so 2 weeks ago we decide to buy him one also. We figured he would just sit on it for a while and probably not learn for a year or so but to our amazement he learned in just 5 20-30 minute sessions!!! He now rides at about 80% the efficiency level of his older brother.

I am just curious if the younger is just super cordinated or if his brother was just a late learner. When do most kids learn to ride a bike with training wheels.

Also, at what age would it be appropriate to take the training wheels off? My husband is thinking of taking them off in about 4 months for our older son and 6 months or so for our younger son.. I am a bit worried about this because I don't think I've ever seen a 3 year old riding a bike without training wheels.. Is he expecting to much?

(P.S. neither of my children ever had a tricycle or anything with pedals)



Answer
Anytime between 2 and 4 is reasonable for riding with training wheels. Some kids just are more motivated or get the coordination to do the pedaling sooner than others.

It's the same for taking off the training wheels. I know kids who learned at 7 and kids who were zooming around at 3 without them. Generally younger siblings start sooner.

Bikes without training wheels.?




anyaha04


My daughters are 6 ans 5. They recieved bike for Christmas. Well, the bikes do not have training wheels. What is the best way to teach them how to ride their bikes. I live in an area that has alot of traffic and I live in an apartments complex. Any ideas would be wonderful!!!!!


Answer
mine came off training wheels at 4. I held the back of their clothes till they found their balance. We made a game of it by seeing how far they could ride before putting their feet down then they would try to beat that spot. Most important they have to have full grasp of the brakes and how to use them. Take them to the park for the first couple of months till they are fully confident on their bikes. Make sure they have helmets on. Don't feel they are too young. I know many kids who are 3 and off training wheels. Good luck




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment