Saturday, June 21, 2014

Teching kid to bike. What is the easy way to teach biking for a 4 yr old.?




Saravanan


I find it quite dificullt to bend down and run holding the bike. There are acessories like push bar for trike, is there any thing like that for bike. For example http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-kettler-push-bar-tricycle-accessory--pi-1438946.html is useful for a trike, will the same fit for a kettler bingo 12' bike?


Answer
Does your 4 year old have trainer wheels on? If so, adjust them all the way up so they are not in contact with the ground all the time. I did this for my 4 1/2 year old and he has great balance now so, he COULD ride on 2 but, he still has the security of 4 if he starts to go over. I have taught him the skills he needs to be able to ride his bike properly with the 4 wheels in place so, he's gonna be good to go when I take them off.

If on 2 wheels only, walk behind them and just stabilize them with your hards on their shoulders. Once you feel they've got their balance, let them go without telling them. Bike riding 101 states you WILL fall but, that's the best way to learn, as long as they get back on and they are wearing the appropriate protection.

Best of luck!

What are balance bikes? Are they good for 3 1/2 year olds? Do they need training wheels?




KRISTIN


My daughter has outgrown her barbie, plastic tricycle from Walmart. I'm trying to find her a new bike-we like one at Walmart (Princess), but I just saw balance bikes at toysrus.com and was wondering what they are.

Are hand brakes better then foot brakes for her age?

Would a balance bike be better for a girl her age (3 1/2)?

Do balance bikes need training wheels?

Are there any bikes you personally loved for your kids that you could reccomend within my price range-I'm willing to spend $80 just on the bike because I also have to get a helmet, pads, and I promised her a horn and basket (if the bike doesn't come with one). She loves pink but theme isn't a big deal and other colors are fine if she doesn't mind. Its her bike so I'm trying to make her very happy with it-she loves the one at Walmart, but I'm trying to shop around and be smart about this. It has a foot brake, training wheels, and is adorable and perfect for her size (she's tall for a 3 year old). But any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much-this is my first time buying her a real bike and I'm afraid to pick the wrong one:(

Oh, is this the wrong category for this question?



Answer
Balance bikes have no pedals at all--they teach your child to build up speed with their legs and then lift them to balance. The thought behind them is to balance so that your children never learn to rely on training wheels at all.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/186-9456430-9274351?asin=B001AIONOU&AFID=Performics_Google%20Product%20Listing%20Ads&LNM=Primary&ref=tgt_adv_XASD0001

At 3 1/2, she is WAY too small for hand brakes--she does not have the coordination to understand how to use them and would end up crashing into things. She needs foot brakes if you get a bike with pedals. I don't think they even make bikes with hand brakes for her sized child.
http://www.target.com/Girls-Mongoose-Bubble-Sidewalk-Bike/dp/B002TQYWVG/ref=br_1_15?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=16259291&node=16259291&sr=1-15&searchRank=price&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=Girls%20Mongoose%20Bubble%20Sidewalk%20Bike&qid=

EDIT: I missed the part where you said she's tall. The Mongoose bike is a 12 inch. The Toys R Us website has 16 inch bikes. I'd bring her to the store and have her sit on a 12 inch bike and a 16 inch bike and see which one fits her better. I'd be inclined to say that the 12 inch would work, but you don't want to get it home and have it only work for 6 mos. You want it to last a little while. You also want to have them assemble the bike for you-- assembling bikes is a huge pain in the butt--trust me...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment