Saturday, June 21, 2014

Buying a new Bike....new rider?




Smudge


I have ridden before, plenty of times but scramblers and dirt bikes. (13 years back) I have since ben into my cars and have only admired the bikes. I have been meaning to actually get my licence for YEARS but one kid, 2 kids, house and job and im here now asking questions.
I am going to take my test within the month, assuming I pass Im not sure whether to buy new or used. forget possibly dropping it.
I intend to learn the bike, how to ride efficient, how to take corners, at what speed and angle, the bounderies etc etc, basically be intelligent an not injure or kill myself.....I am not going to keep up and play with "the big boys" on a sunny day until I can ride properly, I wont even attempt to until Im as comfortable riding as I am driving.

I am looking to working upto an SP1, blue.....my mate has one and it is MINT..

however, I need a more forgiving bike, Im going to get a 600 I think, but Im not sure I trust buying used.....? I need the advice of expierienced riders......I know\think I would feel much more relaxed and comfortable on a new.....I am thinking a Ninja ( in Blue (are you getting the picture, im buying a blue (ninja\sp blue) bike).

Anyway, I think you get my drift......any guidance guys & gals??? on bikes and new or used.......

cheers
J



Answer
Buy something used and inexpensive for a starter bike.

Look for something old but not too old. You don't want something so old that it is a junker, but not something so new that you'll feel bad if you lay it down.

Look for something in the 500 - 800 CC engine size. This will be powerful enough so you don't get bored too soon, but not so fast that you will be afraid of it.

Look for a standard or cruiser bike for your first bike. They are more forgiving and usually have less power than a sport bike with the same size engine. Although cruisers are heavier than other bikes they have the lowest center of gravity and are easy to balance considering their weight. Stay away from the sport bikes for your first bike as they require more skill. Going with a sport bike for your first bike is like getting a Formula 1 race car for your first car, not a good idea. Also used sport bikes tend to be more abused.

Consider the fit of the motorcycle. People come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes. So do motorcycles. When selecting a motorcycle consider how well it fits your body. Ask yourself how well you can put both feet flat on the ground. Ask yourself how well the seating position feels. Do you have to reach too far to the handlebars? Riding hunched over can get uncomfortable very fast. Is the foot peg location comfortable? Does the bike feel too big or too small? An uncomfortable motorcycle won't be much fun to ride for any amount of distance. However, a bike that fits you well will be lots of fun.

Avoid buying over the Internet. I would never buy a motorcycle site unseen. You could very easily end up paying too much for junk. Always do a visual inspection and test ride before buying a motorcycle. When you go to look at the bike, bring a helmet. If you do not have your motorcycle license yet, bring a friend with a motorcycle license and 2 helmets.

Watch the classified section of your local news paper. Some locations have shopper magazines with used motorcycles in your area. Reasonably priced used bikes are out there. Be patient. Don't buy too quickly, but if you find one you like, buy it right away. If you find a good starter bike, don't hesitate as they can sell quickly.

Don't get hung up on any particular brand. All of the name brands are about the same. Pay more attention to the bike's condition. If any one brand were really superior to all other brands, this would be the only brand bike on the road. In addition, if any brand bike was really inferior to the other brands, nobody would buy them and the company would be out of business.

Learn on this bike. Make your mistakes on it. You will make mistakes. Nearly all new riders will lay their bike on its side at least once. Would you rather make your mistakes on an older bike or your nice shiny expensive new bike?

The most important thing you should do when getting your first bike is to take a motorcycle safety course.

After you have been riding a while and gain some experience, you can sell your starter bike and get the one you want. If maintained properly and not abused, you won't lose too much money on your starter bike. Put the money from the sale towards the bike you really want. By this time, you will have figured out what style bike best suits your riding style and needs.

If you settle on a sport bike for your next bike, avoid the used ones. Young riders think they are racers on racing bikes and tend to beat the crap out of them so they are likely to be more abused. So if considering a sport bike, consider something new.

I know I used variations of this answer before. However, I feel this is good advice.

Use your head while riding. Remember, Stupid Hurts.

Have fun - Ride safe


Copied and pasted.

Ninja Zx6r a good starter bike?




James


I currently ride a Rieju rs2 50cc, But when i turn 17 im looking into getting a bigger bike.

I know it has to be restricted to 33bhp but its a good bike for when I am old enough to remove it. Is the Ninja Zx6r a good beginner bike? Or a good bike for my next bike? Im stuck between a ninja 650r and a ZX6-R



Answer
If it is restricted, maybe, if not restricted, then it is good for an organ donor. You and 1.5 million other kids think they can handle a supersport right off, and you will get a bunch of squids on here telling you that you can do it because they have a similar bike and learned on it, all of less than 10,000 miles worth and are now experienced, great riders. Riiiiiight, more squids that think they can ride anything and live, makes me laugh. All these Ben Bostrom wannabes don't have enough miles experience to realize they haven't seen, and survived many things that happen and are on then road. Oh yeah, it is easy to go fast in a straight line with little or no traffic on a bright sunny day and then think you actually have great skills, any squid can do that. But when there is crud on the road all of a sudden, or a truck jerks out 10 feet in front of you, most of those squidly riders who can do 185 in a straight line then end up as a bumper accessory.

The bike you want is a supersport racing bike, make no mistake about it, you can get on and do close to what the AMA 600s are doing. Being young and full of life, sometimes you don't think things through and think you won't get hurt or killed. I used to think that too. The problem is you, and the other boy wonder jockeys on here don't have the experience, can and do at times panic when the crud hits the fan, and will sometimes grab throttle when you want to grab brake. Happens all the time, dead.

No, I don't ride like an old person, I have been riding over 26 years in LA traffic, mountains, desert, woods, I have 7 street bikes currently and I ride like a Hooligan most times. power wheelies, racing, doing triple digits regularly on the Freeways, and like it. But, I have been through the wrecks, I have the scars to prove it and each time I throw a leg over I know it can be the last time, but I am good, my skills have been honed over years of riding and I have no fear of death. I can say I am a MUCH better rider now than I was at age 24, and I see things differently, traffic patterns etc. and I don't panic when the crud hits the fan, I know what to do to get out of those situations. You and the other boy wonders don't, as such you don't need a machine that will get you into those situations and is not very forgiving of mistakes. The bike you want is a precise handling machine, it does not suffer fools, nor does it put up with mistakes, like a more stable with less power and more weight bike would.

Get a 250 or 400 and give yourself a chance to get experience before going to a beast, a full on race bike.

I learned on a 400, got into my worst wreck on a ZX900 Ninja with a stage 3 jet kit and Yoshi pipe due to lack of experience. And now have a fleet of bikes, some more powerful and faster than that ZX900 I had, and I ride hard. My smallest road bike is a highly modified 700, even my dirt bike is a 530cc.

I don't care if you take my advice or one of the inexperienced wonder boy's who posted on here already, I don't need any new friends nor any other riders out on the road, but what I wrote can save the life of a wise kid who wants to grow up to be an old experienced rider some day.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment