Sunday, April 20, 2014

What can I put my kid in while I walk?

Q. I have a four year old who is 40 lbs, and 4 ft. tall. She's too big for a stroller (even the bike trailer kinds - her legs are too long), but she's too young to walk WITH me when I go for my morning walks, which are getting increasingly longer (almost 4 km now).

Any suggestions of what I can use to "carry" her in so that I can keep up my walks?

Thanks!


Answer
I know, you need a kids push bike with the parent handle!... like these....
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/medias/sys_master/8610235792180496.jpg

She'll learn to ride it that way but you can still push her if and when she gets tired.

If you like bike riding yourself, and its great exercise and bum/thigh toning!..you could get one of these....
http://blogs.smarter.com/blogs/guests/bike-trailer.jpg
my friend bought one at Target - the bike and trailer

Is there a kids' bike that is not made in China?




lineymommy


I have made the decision to stop buying products made in China. However I have a 5 year old who is expecting a bike from Santa this year. Can anyone point me in the direction of bikes not made in China?


Answer
Here is the problem...

Yes, it is easy enough to buy a frame built in the US or the UK. It'll be expensive but it is possible. You can even source spokes (DT) and hubs (Edco) from Switzerland, at a price. Purchasing an Italian (San Marcos) or British (Brooks) saddle should pose little problem, and a rear coaster brake from Germany (Rohloff) should be possible as well. There are also some US makers of stems and seatposts (Columbine, Funn), and you can get French tires (Michelin or Hutchinson). Rims, tubes, handgrips, and pedals might be tougherto do but I am pretty confident that our British, French, or Italian friends may be able to help.

Here is the hard part to swallow. It will likely cost in excess of $5000USD (2500GBP) to build the bike, and probably take about a year.

Trying to source a non-Asian bike is commendable and noble, but is something that is- if not impossible- very expensive.

Here is another option before you lose your ambition, it is what I did for my daughters- look for collector quality vintage Schwinns. These are 100% US made (prior to 1977) and are often available for less than a few hundred dollars. One of the models that are fairly easy to find is the Pixie. They are "convertible" bikes for boys or girls. My daughters, now 20 and 23, loved their vintage bikes and still have them to this day... I expect that their kids will one day ride the same bikes.

Other brands you might want to look for are Iverson (US), Tyler (US), Executive (Germany), President (Poland), and AMF/Roadmaster (US).

Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment