Monday, April 21, 2014

Question about bike seat for toddler-Front carrier or Rear carrier?




martha


I'm an experienced biker but I've never used a child seat carrier. I'm a 5'6 tall, 120-pound lady...and I'm pretty athletic ...but still worried about being able to do this safely. My daughter is 19 months and weighs 23 pounds. Should I get a front carrier or rear? I don't mean the trailers..but a carrier that sits just behind my bike seat or the one that sits near the handle bars?

I like the idea of the rear carrier more but I have heard the front carriers are easier? Can anyone offer advice on this? Any recommendations on brand or helpful tips overall?

My bike is an older mountain bike.

Thank you in advance!



Answer
The front carriers are easier for you to mount the bike once your child is in the seat. Everything else is about equal. You are loading weight (of your child) on the bike without being on it. That is where care has to be taken. A kickstand will not hold the bike with the child in the carrier. You must support the bike at all times your child is in the carrier. Either by holding or riding the bike.

I always used the rear carrier, but always had help in preparation as my wife and I always rode with the children together.

As long as you are a proficient cyclist, age and style of the bike is insignificant.

Baby carriers for BMX bike?




.


Does anyone know where to get a baby/toddler carrier that would fit on a Mongoose Rebel BMX bike?
Not sure why that's funny...



Answer
No adult size bike available ? "Baby seats" are hard to find - because of operator abuse- insurance claims against mfg. Who wants to make an outdated inherently abused product. ?? Best solution - - trailer type device with infant helmet, of course !! Good luck, Dewey !




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment