Monday, April 21, 2014

How did kids used to be?

Q. i'm 13. I'm from russia, where no one files a lawsuit if a kid falls off a slide and has the awesome 12 foot tall metal thing torn down.
Here, all the playgrounds and just pretty much everything is sot, round and plastic. it annoys me, for some reason. and they all whine.

"waaah, a SPLINTEER!!!!" -from a 14 year old

my grandma says that kids used to be way more advenurous and non-whiney. is this true? how did it used to be?


Answer
yes, kids used to be different.... but then, too, the world was much different, as well....

at age 8, I could have breakfast with Momma, head out to the playground and play until lunch, when I'd either come home for a bite or go to any of the friends' house where their mom would feed the whole gang..... after that, I'd be off to climb hills, explore the creek, ride my bike a mile to the riverbank to swim or head off to my 'private place' in the woods.... there I'd stay till almost dark.... then I'd report in, eat supper, and then go back out and hang with the kids in the neighborhood, catching fireflies, shooting off fireworks, or scaring the little kids....

we didn't need to worry about strangers, driveby shootings, poisoned candy, food prepared by someone other than momma, where a kid was during the day, who was with him, or taking care of him... if I fell off my bike and got bloody, any mom in reach would haul me in, clean me up, spread iodine on the booboo and bandage me up and send me on my way..... my mom knew about it before I got home, too!....

if I got out of line, any adult in reach would smak my behind and send me home and mom would hear all about it before I got there, then, too!.... you walked a tight line when you knew that anyone in authority could bust yer chops!!....

and as for the slide?... if you fell off it, it was your own fault for not watching what you were doing!!!... I bit the earth a few times myself!!.... swings, too... those nice long ones with fifteen ft of chain?.. oh, YES!!!... you could get a real SWING out of them... and if you were dumb enuff to walk in front of one of THOSE BABIES, well, you deserved what you got..... no lawsuits, etc ever happened from the playground equipment!!....

but.... kids said Yes, M'am and No, Sir , please and thank y ou back then, too.... that's just the way it was.... you didn't say it for any reason but that it was 'respectful'... and you'd better be!!.....

I know the world is different these days.... our kids are being cheated out of so much..... climbing trees... swimming in the quarry.... exploring, being able to find something fun to do at any given moment!!.... never needing electronics or phones.... kids can't even play outside in their own yards without someone watching over them .... used to be, yer dog took care of that..... it's a sad commentary on our times.....

Need good, affordable bike for support and comfort, pulling a child trailer.?




Amy K


I am 5'4,110lbs,F. Need good, affordable bike for support and comfort, pulling a child trailer.
I was looking at the cheapest women's bike with Kettler. Then saw some at Target.com. I have tried bikes at Performance and REI, but they seem awful expensive for me at this time. The trailer I just got was $399. I was hoping not to spend more than $250 tops. I've been looking on Craigslist, too, but not sure. Bike suggestions?



Answer
Generally, the more expensive the bike the lighter and better quality it will be. Target, Walmart, etc. sell lots of very inexpensive bikes, but they tend to be heavy and pretty low quality.

Pulling a trailer and a kid or two is pretty hard work. The lighter the bike, the further you are going to be able to haul your kids. Also, the least expensive bikes available have only a single speed. Frankly, gears are a godsend when pulling kids in a trailer.

If you get a bike from a discount retailer, you should plan on having to get another one in a year or two. Also, discount retailers tend to have noone who can fit you and get the bike set up for you. Thus, you run a good chance of getting the wrong size bike or not getting the seat height and handlebar height correct.

Performance and REI carry a wide variety of bikes to meet nearly all price points except the very lowest. You can count on these bikes to be a nice step up in quality. Furthermore, the sales people should take time to work with you to be sure the bike fits you properly.

Your local bike store may be even better. You aren't going to want to go to a "racing" oriented shop, though. Just one than sells a variety of bikes that should suit your needs.

I suggest you try out a mountain bike, a hybrid and a cruizer with gears. I am sure one of these will be perfect for you and will fit your budget. I also recommend you take your kid and trailer with you. Plan on taking an hour, or so, test ride with each bike. Buy the one that is most comfortable for you. Don't buy a bike on the basis of a 10 minute ride around the parking lot. That just isn't enough time to determine if the bike is really comfortable.

Hope this helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment