Monday, February 3, 2014

If you had to choose between living in NYC or anywhere in Orange County, which one would you choose and why?

Q. If you had other reasons than the weather and/or the family that'd be great!


Answer
Unfortunately I can't tell you much about NYC, and I would chose Orange County in California because that's where all my friends live. I can tell you a lot about Orange County though, the good and the bad. I lived in Orange County (the California one) for about 10 years, I grew up there in Fullerton! I moved away recently, and it made me realize a lot of things about the area. First, if you love the heat, then this is place for you. I personally can't stand hot weather, I'm a snow person. And one thing about summers in Southern California is that there are constant blackouts. It's just because everyone cranks up the air conditioner and the power grid can't take it. So do expect power outages. And good gawd, do they suck. I remember spending many summer nights outside fanning ourselves and playing with the hose to cool down. Secondly, the thing people worry about in California is earthquakes. It's really not a big deal, that whole 10 or so years I lived there, there only one earthquake the scared me. And when you're a little kid, it's actually way cool to feel the little baby quakes! It's actually exciting! But you have to realize that because pretty much all of California is on a fault line, there a hundreds of earthquakes a month! They're just so small you can't even feel them! So you should take earthquakes seriously, have a kind of emergency plan worked out (even if just in your head) but don't stress out about them, they aren't that much of a big deal (knock on wood). Ok, so about the people. When my family moved away about a year or so ago, we moved to Northern Colorado. Comparing the people in OC to the people here, the people here are much nicer on average. People in Southern California are a little ruder, more concerned with themselves. And they are aggressive drivers. Just warning you. And I have no doubt that compared to Orange County, people in NYC are ruder and much more aggressive drivers. But, if you're raising kids, Orange County is the best. There's so much to do there, so many opportunities! I loved growing up there, I loved playing tag in our neighborhood, and playing in the slip-n-slide in out front yard. Mountain biking on the horse trails that when through town, walking to the convenience store down the street from our house. And even though the beaches are as cold and polluted as hell, they were fun too. I mean, there's so many different things to do! I learned to play rugby in Jr. High, and I started archery in 4th grade and continue to shoot with a passion. Anything you could want to do, someone else does it too and there's already an organization started for it. And the amount of cultural exposure you get is awesome! One of the things I miss most is the boba drinks and Indian restaurants and the Japanese sticker pictures. And as far as high schools go, Orange County has one of the best public schools in the nation, it ranked #14 in the nation out of public and private schools one year. Troy High School, located in good old Fullerton. Unfortunately I moved before I could graduate from Troy (1 year to go!). Well, sorry if I rambled a bit. Orange County is a great place to live. I love where I am now, I wouldn't really want to move back to Orange County, but I wouldn't mind it at all if I had to. Haha, hope this helped! :)

Raising a family in Manhattan?




Vasara


I have a great career opportunity available to me in Manhattan. However, I would have to live right in Manhattan and that is non negotiable. The job and experience I will be getting in taking this position would be wonderful for me and my family. But before I make any life altering decisions, Im looking for opinions and input on raising a family in Manhattan.

I have an 8 yr old son who likes sports and riding his bike/skate board. He is used to suburban/small town living where he can take off on his bike and go to the park by himself (or with friends) and play soccer or basketball. I have a 2 yr old daughter who is also used to just going outside and playing in the yard on the many toys we have for the kids. My youngest is 6 months and can adjust to anything at this young age.

How safe is Manhattan for raising a family? However safe, I dont want my son outside alone, ever! We will not have a yard for the kids to have full of toys and play in. Where can my son go to ride his bike or play sports and where can my daughter (s) get messy in the sand and swing and slide and the like? What are some places to go and things to do with a family here for just day to day free time? Are there sports teams in the schools? And how do you go shopping without a car and three kids? Ive already checked, there is no Walmart or target in the city. Is there a "one stop shop" like that anywhere in the city? And what about furnishing my apartment (assuming my already provided housing is not furnished) Is everything delivered and taken to your apt or what? Please, please, any advice and information will be very helpful! Thank you!



Answer
We left NYC because we planned to have a family and decided that we didn't want me to have to work and have someone else raise the kids. Plus, we both came from backgrounds where kids are supposed to play outside a lot, be able to ride a bike, etc. [You can do that in NYC, but only under constant supervision and you have to haul everything to the park, of course.]

It costs a bundle to have an apartment in NYC that's big enough for three kids. You also have to consider whether you'll need to send the kids to private school. If not, you'll pay even more to live in a neighborhood with a good school.

Yes, they have grocery stores, but they're not "supermarkets" in the sense that you're probably used to. There are also great little greengrocers, fish markets, bakeries, etc. But it can be time-consuming to go around to all the shops and collect what you need. And you can only carry so much. [Having one of those little carts is a great asset!]

NYC is an amazing place and is full of potentially great experiences for kids. But it's also can be a rat-race. Personally, I'd say it's a great place to live when you're young and don't have kids to worry about. But, lots of people live there with kids, so it's certainly do-able!

Good luck to you and your family, whatever you decide.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment