Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What size bike for an 8 year old? Are sized based on tire size?




Helen S


Looks like the 16 ince wheel bike is the right size, but other info says, buy a 20 inch bike. So which is right? Going to look at used at peoples homes and don't want to waste time looking at the wrong sizes. Help!


Answer
There is a little truth in some answers but... I have 2 young daughters on the small side and have decades of biking experience soooo...

16" is a very small bike. Height is the factor but if your kid is of average height you want a 20" bike. Most all kids ride 20" by 7 for sure. Both my petite girls had 20" bikes at 7. My older one needed a 24" at 10. Kids grow fast, never get a bike they can barely ride now as they will be too big for it by August.

I need advice, on buying a bike trainer for my 8 years old son, please help?




sky


Hi, my son is over weight, and I want him to lose some weight. Unfortunately, either I am lazy or I do not have enough time, and we do not do regular out door activity.
I came across a bike trainer in a magazine, and now I want to buy one, so he can ride his bike in the house, while I do my job.
I need some information, about the brands, different mechanisms, and every thing else to buy the right one.
Please guide me if you know anything.
Thank you for your time....
Thank you, Jerry, and Andy.
Jerry, your response is a little harsh, I am not over weight, My other son is in a normal weight range too. WE DO NOT EAT LIKE THAT, AND I MEAN IT.
Thank you for advising on buying the book.



Answer
I don't advise a trainer for a kid. It's both boring and it's fairly intense on the body, you don't shift around as you would on a bike outdoors, he will get sore.

A trainer is not good for a kid at 8.

However I recommend walking, getting him (and you?) a "real" bike. Try a trail-a-bike so he rides with you and or your other son. Try activities as a family.

Also will he go walking or join a team or sport?

Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment