Friday, May 9, 2014

Pedal-less bikes for under 3s?




globalstar


Hi I am writing a review of balance bikes - the learner bikes with no pedals that help kids learn better balance. I got my son one for his 3rd birthday.

Has anyone got one for a child under 3? Was it too old for them?

Also - do you think they help balance and ultimately get rid of the need for stabilisers?



Answer
We have one
my son loves it he is 3
the neighbours love it they are 4 and 5
Its tough to say my son wasnt able to ride it untill recently with 3 but I have seen some 2 year olds handleling them well
I think so but some kids prefer training wheels because it seems more stable.
Another good point is that they have no chain. My son is quite the explorer and his great grandfather was scared he will get his fingers stuck in the bike chain of his 2nd cousin when we were on a family reunion.

My son doesnt wanna ride his tricycle anymore and my neighbour (4 year old) doesnt wanna ride his bike till the training wheels come off, unforcenutly its still to high for him without the training wheels.

How heavy this GMC Denali Boy's 24-Inch Road Bike?




Friend


Hi,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU68S2

I ordered this bike online from Amazon.com, for my 9 years old boy. I looked at several different options like Trek KDR 1000, FUJI ACE 650, Felt Kids Road. I am not sure how tall my son would be in next 2/3 years. So spending $675-800 for 2/3 yesrs may not be wise.

At the same time this GMC Denali Boy's is only $150 very inexpensive, cheap bike too. I want to know, is it a piece of Iron Tank, heavy junk or really have light weight 7005 aluminum frame?
Or it is a Heavy Iron Tank MTB with Dropped Handle bar to fool proof as Road Bike?
Dear W W, I appreciate your word "rather I save for anoce bike' then to buy a gurbage at cheap! I thought this million time because I love Road Bike. I a bikist I did not wanted to buy this Iron Tank. On the otherhand, a 9 years old boy hardly will understant Road Bike is not for abuse and street jumping like MTB. Yes, I have the same plan to get a GT,Felt or Trek in next year or so for my son. I personaly ride Trek Road.
Dear W W, I appreciate your word "rather I save for a nice bike' then to buy a gurbage at cheap! I thought this million time because I love Road Bike. I a bikist I did not wanted to buy this Iron Tank. On the otherhand, a 9 years old boy hardly will understant Road Bike is not for abuse and street jumping like MTB. Yes, I have the same plan to get a GT,Felt or Trek in next year or so for my son. I personaly ride Trek Road.



Answer
well the estimated shipping weight is 33lbs. I'd surmize from that, it's about 27lbs. that's heavy for a kids road bike. also, the GMC label is licensed to Pacific Bicycles, the largest manufacturer of Wallywood junk bikes. I've read the reviews on many of these specials, and have encouraged would be buyers to do the same. these bikes are crap! despite the stars and accolades of the purchasers, one needs to read the full review! most of them tell of mechanical issues within the first WEEKS of ownership. have I needed work on my high-end bikes? yes, but not within weeks of owning them, and never have my gears not shifted, nor have my brakes failed! I have seen these bikes on the sales floor at wallywood and target, and am appalled! they have visible gaps and cracks in the welds! I would have spent the money on a better bike. actually, I did. I just paid $300 for a Gary Fisher PreCaliber, for my 9 yr old daughter. she's already endo'd, but the bike made it through! only the chainrings got bent from the crash, which my LBS repaired, no questions. by the way, the GF is lighter than the GMC, and it has a suspension fork! also, the components on bike shop bikes are readily available at bike shops. the components on wallywood specials are not standard, and are hard to come by. in some cases, you may have to wait for garbage day, and salvage them off of a discarded bike! if you're still reading this, you're probably telling yourself Im just some other rich, elitist cyclist. you couldn't be more wrong! I'm a chef, and I dont make a ton of money. I am passionate about cycling though, and would rather save until I can afford a nice bike, than go with a POS wallywood ride! fortunatly, I have 3 nice bikes. so I shouldn't be without a ride whilst saving for a new one!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment