Monday, April 14, 2014

Help finding a bike for college!?




Sam


So I'm going off to college soon and I need to buy a bike soon...my budget is about $200 more or less. I'm okay with buying used.

I've done some research, but I just can't seem to find a bike I like anywhere.

things I want: narrow/thinish tires, but not like a road bike, I want a hybrid, I want something that will be good for getting around, but also for exercise, I want something that goes pretty fast (nothing like the bikes used for racing, but I like speed)

I had an Eddie Bauer bike as a kid and I adored it. http://media.beta.photobucket.com/user/movingoutNC/media/Picture241.jpg.html?filters[term]=eddie%20bauer%20bike&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1
it was just everything I ever wanted in a bike and I even tried to find someone who's selling one (but all of them are too far to pick up)
I want something similar to this.

any suggestions?



Answer
You don't need help choosing the right bike. You need help finding it! You just described to a "T" what you're looking for. Now go scour craigslist everyday - maybe even several times a day.

Good bikes go fast on craigslist. Something posted at 12:00 may be gone by 2 or 3 o'clock that same day.

Why do college kids do all kinds of stupid sh-t?




Megan S


My husband is a full time student at the University of Delaware; we live on campus in family housing. Last night some piece of sh-t drunk college kid pushed over his motorcycle. The frame is bent and the bike is now totaled. It was an older bike so Progressive wouldn't put collision on it so we're now out the $1300 book value. We were going to sell it to have some much needed extra cash for a move in 2 months. Because it happened overnight no one in the complex saw anything. We filed a police report and the cop says that someone definitely pushed it.
What are parents thinking when they send their evil little offspring off to college? I just read a survey where a majority of parents think that drinking is a vital part of the college experience. Are these parents high themselves? Why are parents such pushovers nowadays? I'm so pissed I could just strangle the demon spawn that did this! My husband and I are out A LOT of money because someone couldn't behave!
P.S I'm 21 and my husband is 24. Our parents would literally kill us if we did something like that!
PFG; It wasn't insurance fraud! My husband has been applying for engineering positions at various government contractors. He needs to have a clean record to get a security clearance for those jobs. Any type of conviction like that would cost him the position.



Answer
You were victimized by someone who was immature and drunk. He did what he did because he was immature and drunk, not because he was in college. Your husband is a college student and, as you say, he would never do such a thing. Neither would most of my students, but there is the occasional idiot who would. The same is true of those in the non-college population. You find similar patterns among others at that age - the military is a good example. There are some who, at a young age, are responsible human beings, and others who are drunken louts. Late teens and early twenties are times in which many people go through a lot of growth. Some mature early, while others take longer. Since most college students fall into that age group, and since they are isolated into peer groups, rather than being integrated into the working population, it can look like the problem is college.

I read the other day that the drinking culture is now beginning at the age of 10. They are saying that parents who wait to talk to their kids about drinking and drugs until they are teens are too late; the kids are going over to each others houses and drinking well before they become teens, in some cases. I don't get the need to drink at all, but if kids have been doing it for eight years before they go off to college, why would that change?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment