Friday, March 7, 2014

Should I just wait and save up more money for a new bike?




Zora N.


I have been asking tonnes and tonnes of questions here about potential bikes to buy; it seems that any bike that I like (or is within my price range, for that matter) is complete and utter crap (nicely said by one of the users here). I really didn't want to spend more than $275. But I have picked up a few tips from what I've learned here. All in all, it **seems** to me that the best bike I can afford is at least $500.

If you're wondering my purpose, I need it to bike to school and work (basically use it 1-2x EVERY day). I would use it on pavement road... and would probably end up riding an average of 2 miles per day. I'm also female (as you may have already guessed) and 160cm.

I realise very much that I am ignorant on these things, so I do request that you have a tiny smidge of mercy on me and not be mean :P
Thank you so so much!
@intrepidfae - Oooh in all my rush to buy a new bike, I didn't even consider used bikes from Craigslist. Good option, thanks :D
_______________________________________________
IF this rant is too long, here is the summary:

I want a good bike to use everyday. Only have $275. Should I wait?



Answer
OMG Zora, You have indeed learned something. Congratulations. I am not kidding and don't take it as condescending or patronizing. It is just such a rare happening around here. Most of the time, people tend to do exactly the opposite of what they are advised and then wonder why things don't work.

Knowing the purpose of the bike helps a lot. Now I understand that you need a reliable, dependable bike for commuting but only for 2 miles a day average. That opens some doors or at least softens the demands on the bike a bit. For a 2 mile commute "almost" anything will do but not just any piece of junk. You still want it not to break constantly on the way to work and I don't think that you are interested on getting the tools out a lot. For me, getting grease under my nails is ok, I do that for fun... when I am not at Y!A.

Back to your question. I still think you need to buy from a real bike shop. You will need the warranty, the after sale adjustments and the free tune ups. As well as help with flats and other issues that happens a lot. You see, there a few well known, first tier brands like Trek, Giant, Specialized and a few more that make great bikes but even the basic models will be a bit over what you want to pay. Then there are the second tier that are just almost as good but don't have the name recognition even if some have been around for ages. Kona, Motobecane, Raleigh, Fuji, Diamondback, and many more. You find those in the Local Bike Shop, LBS, for a fairly good price although some are only available on line which is not a good option for you at the time.

And then is the used bike option. Out of the 20 or so bikes I ever owned, only 4 were new. If you go used, get a used bike from the LBS. Clist is not for you. You wouldn't know what to look for, what kind of components. How much wear and tear is there. Most Clist bikes are asking 3x what they are worth and you will have to spend some money in repairs in the first month, maybe even several hundreds. some people find real treasures in Clist, but those people know what to look for and may take months. If you buy from a bike shop, you can trade up later, especially if they know the bike condition.

Hey, I can rant too. Feel free to ask.

The first link show my wife's new bike, 7.6 intended for longer rides and 200 mile tours. Even the 7.1 in that FX series will be a nice bike.

The second link is to an online store. Do not buy from there as you will need to do some assembly, use it for reference. You want a hybrid bike (not step through) with 700 tires, double wall aluminum rims. Make sure it has a cassette and freehub and not the old technology freewheel which is weaker. That should be enough to get you going. I sincerely think that you will out grow that bike and maybe will need a road bike later on.

Even a Diamondback wouldn't be a bad choice. I have one since 1989 with over 10k miles.

What kind of bike should I get?




Mini Mi


And by bike, I mean bicycle. I haven't had a bike in years, and the last I had as a kid, was a 10 speed, I think. Maybe, maybe not. It was just a simple bike, straight handlebars, with front and back brakes. That's what I want now. The STRAIGHT across handlebar kind (not the ones that curve back), front and back brakes, and one that I can use for a nice ride in the park. I looked online, and I don't want a "cruiser bike", or whatever it is. To me, I think that would not take hills well. And I live in a hilly area!! My bike experience: I probably maybe only had a five gear bike, yet I never switched the gears. I never understood when to use them. So if I have that, I wouldn't care either way. I want a bike that has the strength to go up hills, and is just a fun, basic bike for rides in the park. OH!! And I don't want some pricey bike. Something under $200, maybe $100-$200. You know, a KMart bike! Anywho, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!!
Jake B: Yup!! I think you're right. After looking around (I was lazy, that's why I asked this), I found out that a bike looked just like I had remembered! A mountain bike, is what it was. Thank you!

It's purple too, my fave color!! And under 100 bucks. ;)



Answer
ANY mountain bike ;P

(They fit absolutely all of your descriptions perfectly)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment