Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Bicycle for College?




Dave


I will be moving to a new area down at the beach for college and will need a way of getting around to classes.

I have always been interested in cycling and have in the past considered a racing bike.

But this is college and my bike might be possibly stolen. What type of bike will be best for this situation and could someone point me towards some brands?



Answer
As I did for myself, kids, and nieces over the years, go garage sailing or garbage picking. Find something in reasonable working order, all the better if if it doesn't look like much. Flashy is bad if you don't want to attract the eye of the local ne'er-do-wells. Put some time (clean running gear, repack bearings) and a few bucks into parts (new tires, tubes, maybe a chain) to make sure its going to be reliable.

Speed is irrelevant for getting around campus. An MTB, or something heavy duty is better. Knobby tires don't flat as easily as your lighter weight touring and racing tires.

Should I bring a bicycle to college?




Hey There


I know kids who bring their bike to college. They bike to classes and around campus for exercise.


Answer
Having a bike is generally a good thing, but agreed it depends on the bike-friendliness of the campus and your accommodations. Some campuses and cities are far more bike-friendly than others. Worth a visit to your college before bringing a bike - if you can see yourself biking around town and having a convenient place to lock it up when not using it, by all means bring one.

Also worth considering is bike theft. I'd bring something functional but cheap. No sense losing a $3K bike on your first week.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment