Sunday, March 23, 2014

Letting 9 year old daughter ride her bike home from school?




Wendy


So mom's and dad's what would you guys do? Once it starts getting warm my 9 year old daughter wants to ride her bike to and from school we live less then a mile from school, most is neighborhood riding and just a little on a barely main road by the time she gets to the main road she can see the crossing guard... We also have a cop that patrols the street (I think more just to issue tickets for speeding in a school zone) then watching the kids... My husband thinks it's fine I am on the fence maybe I just don't want my little one growing up lol.... So would you guys let your daughter do so? Thanks everyone!
We live in a nice neighborhood and the only crime there is here is kids being kids type stuff...
Even knowing our neighborhood is completely safe i am still not 100% on board

Yeah we have a firefly cellphone she uses for sleepovers and checking in when at friends houses, there is a large group of kids that walk home (we have no buses) all kids are walkers or like me I drive my daughter to and from, she has asked to walk with the other kids a few of them are her friends at school, she has never gotten upset that I will not let her she just says OK mom maybe next year, lol which makes me feel worse about saying no! Our main road is only busy on school mornings/afternoons when the school traffic is coming other then that you see a car maybe every 10 mins!! Thanks everyone for the input now I don't feel so overprotective!!



Answer
I would let her ride her bike, provided she understands bike and road safety.

Your child is safer today from the unsavory types of people than they were when you or I were growing up, and none of us were kidnapped on our way home from school. Yet thanks to the over-hype we are more afraid than our parents ever were.

Keep in mind as well your daughter will be riding to school while there's other children and adults around - it's not as if you're sending her down the street at midnight.

Get her to buddy up with a friend if it makes you feel more comfortable, or hop on your bike and make the trip with her once or twice so you're convinced she knows road safety, but other than that I see no reason why she can't ride her own bike to school

What's the best vacation for kids, specifically a 9 and 11 year old?




Jenna K


If money wasnt an object, and I wanted to take my 9 and 11 year old on a week trip, and I wanted it to be something FUN, memorable, learning experience, as well as a bonding experience where should I take them?


Answer
Yellowstone National Park is pretty awesome for a week

Orlando or California theme parking, they are a good age for that.

A cruise on carnival or disney.

Oahu- go snorkeling, kayaking, biking tours, visit the memorial, parasailing, etc.

A river rafting or ocean kayaking expedition with a guide is a must do.

It'll all be fun if you don't overschedule, do goofy stuff, and don't stress trying to get too much done during your vacation.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment