Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Can anyone recommend a baby helmet to soften falls?




tonymonton


We got her one, but she won't wear it because it falls over her eyes. Any suggestions?
for those of us who don't see the wisdom in fall protection, try this.. Fall head first onto a hard floor. If you still don't understand the trauma this causes to a baby, repeat until convinced.



Answer
I have been a mom for 28 years to 4 kids who are now 28, 26, 23, and 10. I am also grandma to an almost 12 month old grandson who has been working to perfect his toddling skills for about a month. Additionally, I have provided child care in my home for 20 years. Unless your baby has a medical condition necessitating a helmet a child who is developing at a normal rate does not need one. Falls and the accompanying bumps, bruises, and cuts are part of the learning experience and while I won't say never, I will say will rarely cause any permanent or long-lasting damage. I have never heard of a child with a permanent injury as the result of a normal childhood fall. Truthfully, most of the falls will cause various facial injuries rather than head bumps anyway. Right now I have my almost 1 year old grandson sitting on my lap with a bump above his eye that he got earlier today when he fell against a toy while practicing his walking skills. It caused a few tears, but some snuggle time and a kiss to make the "owie" better and he was up and trying again. One of my 2 year old daycare children has a scratch on his check no doubt received over the weekend in some toddler mishap. When babies are learning to walk they will naturally put their hands out to balance themselves and thus to catch themselves so they are not landing with a full impact on their heads/faces on the floor nor will they fall straight back, but usually fall on their well-padded little bottoms. In my many years of experience with infants and toddlers, the only child who needed a helmet was not for safety reasons but was a molding helmet to help with plagiocephaly, which is the misshapen head that some infants get. I am sure that you love your daughter very much and want to do what you can to protect her, but a helmet is really unneccessary unless she is riding on the back of your bike in a child seat or in a bicycle trailer. ADDED: It is just a part of life that babies fall while learning to sit or walk. The majority of the time it is not their head that hits the floor first. While learning to sit simply place pillows around her while she practices the balance skills she needs. While learning to walk, most falls are backward to the bottom. Frontwards falls are usually absorbed by the torso and the arms. Bumps to the head are typically not caused by falls but rather by running into something such as a door knob, a coffee table, or the kitchen table.

How do I get my parents to let me buy a bike?




Paul M


Okay, here is the situation...Im a 17 year old (well, in one month I will be) high school graduate. Im in college full time, and work part time. I need a form of transportation that is cheap,effective, and reliable. My parents are not letting me buy a 1993 Firebird as I wished because of the "Ungodly" insurance rates, which I understand. So Ive decided to buy a new Ninja 250R. I want a bike for the following reasons;

(1) GAS MILEAGE-up to 70 mpg.

(2) LOW INSURANCE- as low as $90 a month. (Hell of a lot cheaper than $250 a month for a Firebird ;)

(3) LOW COST- $4000 for a brand new bike.

(4) LOW POWER- There isn't enough power for me to get stupid with.

(5) LOW MAINTENANCE-Very low maintenance,only oil ,filters,and tires need replacement every few thousand miles

(6) RELIABLE- Ive never heard of some ones ninja breaking down on them.

But my parents are protesting my request to allow me to buy a motorcycle. They know that Im a responsible kid ( I mean come on, im in college and Im freaking 16), but my mother says that im going to get killed. No matter how much that I tell her that I'll take safety courses, and wear a helmet and FULL leathers, she refuses to let me start working on getting my M class license. She believes that leathers don't do anything but keep all your dead guts together in a wreck, which I know is not true. Apparently I am "taking my life in my hands" if I ride a bike. And she states that Im already shortening my lifespan by joining the Marine Corps next semester. lol

Sorry for the long read, but Im just really upset at her. I present her with all of the logical reasons to let me purchase a bike, but she is just sooo damn hard headed. What do I do?



Answer
Your parents will forever be against it. Having a bike is pleasurable, peaceful and fun, but also a very serious undertaking. Take a bike safety course and if you still decide to get one, try maybe a 600 instead. you will outgrow a 250 in about a week. Ride safe, wear a lid(helmet). Most bike fatalities stem from head injuries, think about it-if you fell down while standing and your head hit the pavement...imagine going 60 mph and that happening! Always expect the unexpected. Don't street race man, if you feel the need to get into the ozone, go to the track. Keep it on two wheels...welcome to biker world. Busa D.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment