Friday, January 17, 2014

How long could it take me to get proficient at biking?

best kids road bike on RST KIDS MOTOCROSS ENDURO PIT/BIKE QUAD OFF ROAD BOOTS (BEST BUY ...
best kids road bike image



Bridgitt L


I barely learned how to bike ride as a kid, and now I'm planning on getting a hybrid bike for road biking and trail biking. I'm looking into biking to cross train with for cardio, and for transportation as well. However, I had trouble with balance as a kid, and never really completely graduated from having training wheels taken off. If I learn how to ride at a park with my dad helping me, and I go out and practice on my own, with training wheels, how long do you think it could take before I'm ready to ride in traffic or around town. My goal would be to bike at a vigorous pace for an hour or two. Plus how many calories would it burn? I looked up the calories and it depends on your pace, speed, and weight. I heard biking at at least 14 mph, and maybe going on some hills or hilly terrain burns a lot, or changing up the resistance.
I'm not looking to lose weight. I'm already at my perfect healthy weight, thank you very much. I am a runner, and was looking into cross training. I also swim, and have been taking a spinning class etc.



Answer
"How long could it take me to get proficient at biking?"

How hard do you want to work at it?

"Plus how many calories would it burn?"

Same answer: How hard do you want to work at it?
See link. Fill in the required blanks & click on Calculate. None of the "calories burned" charts are 100% correct. It's all a "best guess". Ride more - eat less.
http://www.bicycling.com/caloriemain

what are the bikes that people ride in bigger cities?




Justin


I was in San Francisco, and i saw a bunch of young, like college kids riding pretty cool bikes. they were like road bikes without lever brakes. I'm just guessing that they have coaster brakes. can you give me what they are called and some sites to go to to find one? THANKS..
yeah, that hipsters ride with only one gear.



Answer
Those are called "fixies" or fixed gear cycles.

They only have one gear and no free wheel. So the rider must move their legs constantly and user their legs to help slow the bike. By law they should have ONE lever brake on the bike.

These bikes are often home-built and modeled after track bikes in the gearing. One hipster dude I know has a cog, diff size on each side of his rear tire. Going in to work it's downhill, so he flips the quick release tire and rides the high gear. Coming home, flips and rides low.

But not everyone rides those. You'll see all kinds from road bikes to MTN bikes to beach cruisers on the street. In Europe, however the bikes are less aggressively styled and more functional... like they are designed to be ridden by normal people in normal clothes! Heh heh!

In the US we like to wear tights and hunch over and attack the commute. Get there!

Fixies are a hip way to go retro and sleek and sorta experience the racers life... show cahones attacking hills on your fixed gear with no escape on the other side but to hang on and peddle to keep up.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment