Wednesday, October 16, 2013

HOW DO I KNOW WHAT SIZE BIKE TO BUY FOR MYSELF? I'M CONFUSED ON THE "INCHES" ISSUE?

best kids mountain bikes 24 inch on ... Mountain Bike with 29-Inch Wheels (Black, 16-Inch/Small) from
best kids mountain bikes 24 inch image



RoadTrippi


I'm 5'4 tall w/ a 32" inseam and I'm looking at bikes online but I have no clue what to size to buy. Thanks for any help I can get!


Answer
The Toys R Us answer hit a nerve with me.....Never buy a bike at Toys R us! those are made for kids and they couldnt be cheaper. That response is obviously from someone who knows very little about cycling too.
With a 32" inseam you could ride any road bike in a 54cm to a 56cm in most brands but not all. Every manufacturer makes similar models but not all will fit you the same. In a mountain bike a 26" wheel is the most common wheel size out there and this is NOT frame size, this is wheel only (a 24" wheel size on ANY bike would be too small for you and is a KIDS bike, with the exception of BMX 24" wheels and such)
With a 32" inseam you could even go as far as a 29" wheel size in a medium frame size in nearly any make too. I have a 30" inseam and ride a 17" in mountain and a 54cm in road. Hybrid/comfort bikes usually fit me with a 17-18" frame and even a 19" on some models.
For a cruiser, nearly anyone over 5'1" up can ride one with some adjustments. If you can place your feet flat on the ground while seated on the saddle the seat is TOO LOW!
As for the inches issue: it is measured from the top of the seat post tube down to the center bolt of the crank on the bike and this is how mountain and hybrid/comfort bikes are measured. Road bikes (racing) are measured the same way but in Centimeters and there is also the top tube length to consider when buying a road bike too. It is generally 1-2 cm longer than the seat tube length in mens bikes and less in womens bikes.

Is this the right bike for me? If not what is? Help appreciated...?




Chandler


I am 19 years old and about 5'3''. I am currently looking to get a new bike to exercise on paved trails with and ride to school and to work. I went to wal-mart just now, and being a girl, I want the hot pink bike for $135. It is the 24-Inch Mongoose XR-75 Girls' Bike if you want to look it up.

My problem though is this bike is meant for kids and is a mountain bike. I've been researching and I know I should probably get a hybrid, comfort or road bike, but I really like this bike.

Will this "mountain bike" work just fine on paved roads and grass without causing problems such as busted tired etc? or Do I need to shop around and look for a non-mountain bike? Also is it okay that it is a kids bike with 24'' wheels? or Do I need to be an adult and buy a lame colored bike with bigger wheels? Any advice is welcome and appreciated! Thanks! :)



Answer
Chandler

You buy a bike for where and how you will ride. If you will not be riding on mountain / offload trails, then a mountain bike would not be my choice. If you will be riding on roads and streets and bike paths.... Then a road bike, hybrid or drop bar 'racer' would be a far better choice. Man bikes on the roads are about 4 or more mph slower ..... If you will be biking for distanc and speed.... Again the road bike is the preference.

Soccerref




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment