Friday, May 16, 2014

infant mortality rate impact on society?




KSHITIJ





Answer
Think of it in terms of population growth rates.

When few children live to adulthood, the mantra becomes, "an heir and a spare". That means large families (on average it take 4 kids to end up with 2 boys), not enough resources to invest (educate, etc.) all of them, etc.

When most live to adulthood, it becomes "a boy for you and a girl for me". That only takes three kids on average. Families can afford to invest more in each.

And with a good pension system, etc. most families are happy with only two kids (close to ZPG)

Those are extreme differences, but exactly the sort you see in the world today.

On the flip side, with fewer kids per family, concern about child welfare has soared. Where people used to let their kids walk to school, they are now driven; where kids used to ride their bikes without even thinking of helmets; now it is a sin for kids to go helmetless on bikes, roller skates, skateboards, etc.

Whether this is a good trend or not is not the point - just that it is a manifestation of infant mortality rates on society.

Should a toddler wear a helmet when using a tricycle or big wheel?




ilvmystica


My husband and I disagree on this subject. When we were kids we never wore helmets on our big wheels or when we got older, bicycles. I am incredibly protective with my daughter and feel that if she did fall even a short distance off her tricycle and hit her head on the pavement she could sustain serious injury and possibly death, My husband thinks since we never wore helmets as children that she will be fine. I'm just curious what others think on this subject.
Versantly, what are you talking about? My husband and I are not argueing over getting our child a helmet. She's going to get one. I simply wanted to know, since I am a first time mom, what other parents think and get some examples of what could go wrong (so far I got some great ones) to relay to my husband. I don't need to convince him since I don't need permission to get my daughter a helmet.



Answer
Yes, she should.

There are all sorts of things we didn't do as children that are now known to be absolute life-savers. Most of us weren't laid on our backs to sleep - and the SIDS rate was double what it is now. Most of us were given early solids, and look at the rate of diabetes. And most of us didn't wear helmets on our bikes, and a significant number of kids used to die from head injuries which could have been prevented. Since you and your husband are still here, you weren't the unlucky ones. That doesn't guarantee that your daughter will be equally lucky.

You don't put a helmet on a tricycle-age kid because the trike is dangerous - she's more likely to hurt her head falling over while running, and you're not going to make her wear a helmet 24/7 (I hope :) ). You do it so they form a habit of always wearing a helmet when they ride a bike. Otherwise, when are they going to start wearing one? When they go onto a bike? When you take the stabilisers off? When they ride on the road? When it's a motorbike, not a pushbike? Safety habits are important, so start them now.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment