Monday, May 12, 2014

How can I pay resident tuition at UBC in two years?




cactus p


I am currently a student at UNM (Albuquerque, NM). I hate it here. I am not one hundred percent set on defecting to Canada yet, but having lived in quite a few of this country's states, major and (very) tiny cities, this country being the US of A, I have found that I do not fit in. My wife does not fit in, my kids do not fit in, and amongst many other things, I really dig mountain biking. Do not get me wrong, around Albuquerque and many parts of CO, Wyoming, Washington and heck, even KS have some awesome spots, but BC is supposed to be like winter park on crack and steroids at the same time (LOL).
I just got a little excited, excuse me.
Anyways, I like to work, be around people who work. I like to hold the door for little old ladies and be friendly with me neighbors... I have not found a place in this country that suits my yearning for a mutual cordialness, for a lack of better words, and want to have my kids grow up not feeling like me... I often feel like I am doing wrong when I do the right thing. I know that people are people are people, but friends I have from BC and other parts of Canada tell me I would probably fit in a little better up there.
Enough complaining from me... Here is again my question: Is there any way that any of you know of to gain access to Canadian resident tuition at University of BC while starting right now as an American citizen with not a whole lot of knowledge on this subject?
-I have "dug" through the UBC website to no avail, perhaps I missed something...
-I plan on calling fairly soon to speak with an admissions advisor in regard to this subject...
-I plan on getting my passport and maybe visa process started within the next three months...
-I plan on within the next week or so of making sure I have not wasted some thousands of dollars on tuition and books and time going to school if the credits will not transfer...
-I plan on visiting a few times prior to making up my mind... One of my kids needs some special attention, and my wife and I will have to set things up well in advance if we plan on living in BC any amount of time.
-I know I have a ton to do before anything happens, and know that I posed much here, but If you could help me with the main question or any periphery, I would be greatly obliged!

Thank you



Answer
Not going to happen.

You can't defect to Canada. It doesn't allow American citizens to apply as refugees or political prisoners. It is highly unlikely that you can qualify to immigrate to Canada nor will you likely even be permitted to study there.

In order to apply for a study permit, you must be have applied to a Canadian university, been accepted, and then apply. There is a limited number of seats at most universities set aside for foreign students and competition can be extreme depending upon the program. You'll be required to submit proof (bank statements) that you can pay for it. A typical undergraduate degree at UBC costs around $26,000 in tuition and fees per eight months for an international student. Living costs for a family of four in Vancouver will exceed $50,000 a year. There are almost no access to scholarships or loans for non-citizens and your ability to work while attending school is limited.

A study permit is a non-immigration visa. It does not permit you to remain in Canada after your studies. When applying for one you may be require to proof that you will leave Canada when your program has ended. There are only a few specific exceptions to this.

You will not get domestic fees unless you have proof that you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. In order to become a permanent resident you would need to meet the requirements to apply under one of the categories, apply, and be accepted. Requirements include: marrying a Canadian citizen willing to sponsor you; having a job offer from a Canadian company in specific professions (doctor, engineer, nurse, specialized trades) and then completing for one of 10,000 positions based on education, work experience, age, language skills, etc.; having a net worth of $1.6M and invest $800k in Canada; complete certain university degrees in Canada and then obtain a skilled job offer shortly after graduating; be nominated by one of the provinces (doctor willing to work in a remote community, buy and run a farm in some provinces, world class performing artist, etc.); etc. You must pass medical, background, and financial checks. The process takes three to five years.

If your child has special needs you'll likely be denied either a study permit or permanent residency on medical grounds. Canada can deny either if any person likely to "cause excessive demands on health or social services".

I recommend that you carefully read the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site for the requirements for applying for permanent residency in Canada. Understand that this is likely not possible or that it will likely take years if not decades or more obtaining the advanced degrees, job offers, savings, etc. needed to apply. A special needs child may make it impossible. Contact an immigration lawyer if you need to.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment