Friday, April 11, 2014

When did your kids start riding their bikes without training wheels?

Q. it's official, my little Sarah is riding her bike with OUT training wheels! So exciting!! She is 4 years old, and her twin sister won't hardly budge to get on a bike! Her good big brother took her out and taught her and then her other older brother and daddy helped! They have been doing this since friday afternoon.She's a pro!

when did your start riding without training wheels? Who taught them?


Answer
4 to 5...

Both of my daughters learned from my father... He ran beside them holding the back of the bike slowly adjusting the training wheels until they weren't using them..

My son taught himself... My father let him help put together a swing set teaching him how to use tools... The next day I went out on the back porch to call him in for lunch, I found his training wheels and a crescent wrench... I started down the porch steps to look for him when I was nearly knocked down as my speedster zoomed by doing great... He yelled "Mom no training wheels!!!!" as he zoomed off for another lap around the backyard... LOL

How old were your kids when they could ride a bike without training wheels?




Raider Nat


My son is 4 and has recently been talking about getting his training wheels taken off of his bike. My wife, myself, and my son all ride bikes on the weekend and I guess he realized that he wants to ride like us. We also live my multiple kids and they are a few years older than my son and he wants to ride with them. We live on a Cul-de sac and we are planning to go outside after the weather clears up. I am just curious to see how old most kids are when they learn how to ride a bike without training wheels. So, how old were your kids and how long did it take?
The weather hasn't really cleared up yet so we may just wait until tomorrow unless by some miracle the weather gets better within the next hour or two. My son didn't just turn 4 either. He will be five in August. The cul-de-sac seems like a pretty safe spot for bike riding and learning. It is a pretty clear and flat area. If not, we can always go to the church parking lot. He will obviously be wearing a helmet and elbow/knee pads.

Thanks everyone.



Answer
I'd say that 5-7 is probably typical, but I know several kids who learned to ride without training wheels at 4. Mostly, it depends on how much experience they have on bikes and how good their balance is (along with their confidence).

My oldest tried a few times at age 5, but couldn't quite get it. We kept taking her training wheels off and putting them back on whenever she asked. She tried again the next summer right after turning 6 and did great within a day or two (after seeing the same-age neighbor boy on his 2-wheeler). My younger daughter was 4 1/2 at the time, and once big sis could do it, she wanted to try, too. Within three weeks, she was also without training wheels.

My youngest wasn't quite ready last summer when he was barely 4, but he wants to try again this year, and I think he'll get it before he turns 5.

We live on a flat street with a wide driveway at the end of a cul-de-sac, and my kids ride bikes a lot. I've also heard people say that their kids learned best in a parking lot, so if you have a church or school near you with a parking lot that's empty at certain times, it may be worth taking him there to learn first. And if he's not quite ready, just put the training wheels back on, and don't make a big deal out of it. He will get there.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment