Monday, April 7, 2014

Do your kids ride their bikes to school?




Jessica Vo


And what are their ages? At my kids school the bike rack is pretty empty (although he does go to a private school.) Only kids who ride to school are them (10&8) my nephew JJ (was 8) his friend Caden (10) and my God Daughter (was 10)..Is this a lost joy? Is it because parents are scared of abductors?

Some of my funnest memories were riding to school as a kid and I grew up in a high crime area. I know my kids love it, they will leave early so they can stop at the Doughnut shop, or hit up the skate park while it's empty.

What is it like where you're from? Bike kids? Bus kids? Walkers? Or mainly guardians dropping off. Thanks.



Answer
There are around 280-300 kids at my daughters elementary school. Probably 3 of them ride their bikes. Most ride the bus and maybe 50-60 of us drop our kids off and pick them up.

I take my kids to school. There are no sidewalks on our road, for one. Then the rest of the way is the main road with no sidewalks. My middle school daughter goes to school 20 miles away so I take her and pick her up, too. No way she would get there on time riding a bike for 20 miles lol .

Can I put 14" wheels on a kids bike?




pmondrag


My 4 year old daughter is ready for a two-wheel bike w/training wheels. When we went shopping for bikes I noticed she is way too big for a 12" bike but she felt very unstable and hesitant on the 16" wheeled bike. It looked too big for her. They had a couple of 14" bikes at Toys R Us, none of which we liked, but she seemed most at ease on those and seemed to be best fit. Instead of buying a 14" bike this summer and another 16" bike next, I was wondering if I could buy a 16" bike (that we actually like) and just put 14" wheels on it until she is ready for the 16" wheels. And if I can, where do I (and can I) find 14" wheels that makes sense it terms of cost?? Doing custom-order would defeat the purpose.
Thanks so much for the feedback. I hadn't thought about the frame sitting lower. I'll probably find a cheap used $12 just so she learns and then when she is confident switch her to the 16" - who knows maybe she'll be ready for it before I know it! I'd rather her be confident as you mentioned. Thanks so much!



Answer
This might work. You need to keep in mind, everything about a 16" bike is scaled up. Everything is bigger, not just the wheels.

Anyhow, the first problem will be with hand brakes. The hand brakes won't be in the proper position to squeeze the rim of the wheel if you put a 14" wheel on a bike made for 16" wheels.

Putting 14" wheels on will also put the pedals closer to the ground which may cause your daughter to drag a pedal on the when turning. If she drags hard enough, it might flip her right off!

Finally, finding 14" wheels is going to be a pain. Consumers just don't go out a buy 14" wheels. Thus, I suspect, if you can find the wheels, they will be cost prohibitive.

In my humble opinion, a small bike is easier for a kid to learn to ride. They feel more in control of a bike they can put their feet down with. In the dear, dead days of my youth, we started our kids on a little tiny bike with 12" wheels. We promised to get them a "real" bike as when they learned to ride. In next to no time, the training wheels came off and they learned to ride. Good to our word, we got them "real" sized bikes and they were pleased as could be with themselves. My daughter was just over 4 when she learned to ride and my son was about 4 1/2.

Hope this helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment