Saturday, March 1, 2014

Tandem bike with kids?




R K


I have a 8year old and a 6 year old. We like to bike but are not seasoned bikers. So far I have only taken my kids to the playground to bike but would like to go out on trails and maybe even use the bike to get to nearby places but I am not confident enough to let my kids ride on their own. I was thinking of maybe getting a triplet tandem so we can enjoy biking together without worrying about if the kids are following properly. Eventually we will get comfortable with biking everywhere and be on our own bikes..
I am wondering about my options as far as the bike itself is concerned. Is there one you use and love? I want both kids to pedal and participate. I would appreciate tips on the bike itself, getting around on a tandem and especially parking it and keeping it safe. If we take it to the library for example, do we just lock it in the normal bike stand area?

Thank you



Answer
The 8 yr. old is plenty old enough to get on his/her own bike. For the 6 yr. old - get a tag-along if you must.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/189-0587099-1815310?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=tag+along+bike

As a parent - it's YOUR job to teach them cycling safety without being dependent on you all the time. Sooner or later they'll want to be on their own. Start with these links...
http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm
http://bicyclesafe.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU4nKKq02BU

My 4 year old can't pedal a bike. Despite how hard he tries, he just can't do it, SUGGESTIONS?




Looking4He


My son is a normal active, healthy 4 year old. He watches kids his age, ride their bikes. He just can't seem to get started with the pedaling process. I really want to help him, I just don't have a clue how to get him started. And honestly, it frustrates me because I can't help him. Can someone please help me, help him?


Answer
I assume his bike has training wheels. Kids have a more difficult time pedaling in the upright position, and I also just discovered they have a really hard time learning to pedal if there is a back break on the bike (it breaks when they pedal backwards). You might try to find a tricycle with no breaks to let him learn on (or a hot wheels). My husband and I were also surprised to find they make 10inch starter bikes (at toys r us) with no back break. The reason we figured it out is because our 2.5 year old got on and started pedaling, but when we put her on her sister's bike she couldn't pedal. The reason was because she needed to push backwards on the pedals first to get her feet in the postion where she had enough leverage to push forward. If the bike breaks when she pushed backwards she could'nt get her feet in the position to pedal forward. He will get it, just give him time and don't be afraid to try a trike, hotwheels, or beginner bike with no breaks (only on safe areas of course!).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment