Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Trail-a-Bike vs. Trailer?




Rosie B


I have a 4 year old son and would like to bring him along for bike rides. Which is the better option in your opinion, a trailer or a "trail-a-bike"?


Answer
Four is a between age.

If he was 3 it would be a no-brainer for the trailer

If he was 6 I would lean to the tag-along as most 6 yr olds have bicycle balance.

Since we have no idea on how your son is on a bike now, it's a difficult answer. Does he ride a bike already? I mean without training wheels. He should know balance before climbing on the tag-along. While I know what SoccerRefToo means by having a child on a tandem, a tag-along are different handling. They are a cross between a tandem and a trailer.

If he doesn't have balance on a bike yet either buy a used trailer to use for a season or two (have other younger kids?) or teach him to ride a bike without training wheels. You do that by lowering the seat so his feet are flat on the ground with his knees bent. Remove the pedals. Have him master balance by using it as a push bike. He will learn faster as he won't have to pedal to move or learn how to use brakes. His feet will do that on the ground. THEN put him on the tag-along.

what bike should i get?




lil duece


i am 13 years old 5'3 and recently ride a 70cc dirt bike i want a new bike for trail riding but dont know what to get either a raptor 250,klx 140,or a kx 85 (also if you have any other bikes you recommed tell me)


Answer
A kid your age & size has no business being on anything bigger than a 110cc 4 stroke or 100cc 2 stroke play bike. Yamaha TTR 90, Yamaha RT 100, Yamaha TTR 110, Honda XR 100, Honda CRF 100, Suzuki DRZ 110, Kawasaki KLX 110, and Kawasaki KE 100 are your choices.

I have been trail riding in Northern Michigan for 34 years. I began trail riding when I was 6 years old. I raced Enduros and Hare Scrambles for 12 years. I competed in the International Six Days Enduro twice. I know what I am talking about.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment