Tuesday, February 11, 2014

bmx bike buying?

Q. my younger brother wants a bmx bike. he is 9 and i dont want to get him a $500 bike if hes just going to mess it up. the problem is im not sure what a good brand or a good price for a bike is.


Answer
When you invest that amount of money into a bike, you definately wouldnt want to see it get thrashed or worse yet, thrashed by one of the neighbor kids that begged to ride it.
If your looking for an everyday bike that can take the punishment that 9yr olds tend to give, I would go to walmart or target, or toys r us to buy one of those tanks that really do stand up to brutal abuse and have a life expectancy of around 2-3yrs.
If your bro races bmx then by all means, it will be money well invested. You can get a top-of-the line bike with all the bells and whistles for that price. Your local bike shop can set you up or check out craigslist.org. Theres always a few listings with pictures. Redline, Gt, Alliant, Cheeta/robinson, powerlite, are good brands. And the cost can range from $125 on up.
Check craigslist.org. Thats where the best bikes are for next to nothing. Good luck!

does fisher price still make that small white bike with the pedals on the front wheel?




mypixees3


Fisher Price Little People Toddler Bike that is what it is called, it is white with red and blue lettering, the pedals come off the front wheel and there are training wheels on it


Answer
I believe my daughter had a similar bike by Fisher Price except it was white with pink and lilac. It looked a bit like a tricycle with pedals on the front. However, the rear wheel was more like a bike with two training wheels. The wheels could fold in to make one really large rear wheel. Eventually, you could remove them altogether. Our bike would have been at least a 14 year old design. I have not see one quite like it since then.

I looked at the Fisher-Price website. it appears to me that the ones with pedals on the front wheel are more like a tricycle while the little ones that are more like a bike seem to have pedals and chains designed more like a bike now.


Here is a link to what I think is the current model of the bike you are talking about.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=10&e=outdoorfunproduct&pid=38042

The rigid plastic tires look like they have a different tread design. I hope this one works better. My daughter's was so hard to pedal. It never gripped well on cement I think due to a bit of sandy residue on the concrete. It could not be pedalled well over the lawn either. Fortunately we were given the bike second hand, so we did not loose money on it. It did not work anywhere near as well as the metal tricycles I had as a kid. We eventually just got my daughter a nice small bike with training wheels.

Today, in a bike store, we saw a very tiny two wheeler with no pedals. It was designed for a very small child to just balance and scoot along. A few posts that I have read here lead me to believe that this may be a much better design for learning.

Here is one that is similar in design. I cannot vouch for the quality of this bike. I am just posting it for design reference.

http://www.coochicoos.com/toys/post_26.html

I have seen a couple of models where the wheels could be added on at a later date too. Perhaps someone here will be able to tell you if any decent small child's bike could have the pedals removed to begin with.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment