Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I want to take up mountain biking, how can I start?

best kids mountain bike on One Bad Ass Electric Bike Is Announced : TreeHugger
best kids mountain bike image



No Name AT


I'm looking for a new hobby. As a kid I used to really enjoy biking. Now I want to take up mountain biking. What is everything I will need to start? What gear and accessories? Also any general knowledge or advice for a beginer would be greatly appreciated.


Answer
Step 1. Do you have at least $500 to $550 for a decent entry level bike? Yep, I said entry level.
http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/nevada_17_d

You'll also need an under-seat bag to store a spare tube, tire levers and multi-use folding bike tool. A good frame pump or mini-pump & of course water bottle cage & bottle.
http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/AeroWedgePack_large_Quick
http://www.crankbrothers.com/tools_multi10.php
http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/MountainMorph

And don't forget a good helmet. This is a decent one for the price.
http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/helmets/indicator.html

What can I expect from a Mountain Bike Trail?




Arman2Dito


I'm planning to go biking in a Mountain Bike Trail but I've never been or seen a mountain bike trail, so I was wondering what will I see once I get there, I mean, are the paths always made of concrete (like a sidewalk) or is it a natural path?
Also I need to buy a bike to go there, what would you recomend me and in what price range are the Mountain Bike Trail bikes?
Thanks in advance.



Answer
Real trails are mostly or all dirt, gravel, sand. Hard pack dirt is the best. You will encounter steep short hills and some times long hills depending were you live and ride. Tree roots (very slippery when wet) rocks, small to medium logs to hump over, bumpy rutted down hill are common. Sometimes trails are very narrow between trees with tight turns etc. and small very narrow bridges (hand built) over wet spots are common where I ride. Trails vary widely.

Ask around, trails are rated for difficulty. For a first ride choose the easiest you can find. I don't want to scare you but the 1st time out is an eye-opener for most riders. When I take newbies out I go to the easiest trail which crosses park roads so if they had enough for the day we just ride the road back to the car.

As for the bike, try to buy above the $300 - $400 price range if you really want to trail ride. Wally Mart type bikes will not hold up to the abuse taken on a trail. There OK for once in a while trial rides. Best thing would be to borrow a bike to try it out - trails I mean. If you really like it and are a good athlete spend $600+ to get a bike that will be well equiped to work well under trail conditions. Stay away from duel suspension bikes - they added weight and $$$ and are certainly not needed. They are sold a lot in discount stores because kids (and adults) think there cool.

Make sure you ride on the road to get in at least OK shape and can handle and shift you bike very well. MTB riding requires much more skill than road riding. Finally, go when it's dry.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment