Tuesday, November 5, 2013

How do I figure out what size my daughter's bike is?

best kids mountain bike 24 on Ridgeback MX24 Mountain Bike Kids Boys Bicycle 24
best kids mountain bike 24 image



arliesmom


She needs a bigger bike, but I have no clue what size her current bike is. Someone once told me it has something to do with the tires but I have no idea where to look, there are several numbers on her tire. I see no numbers anywhere on her bike.
The only numbers on the tire that I see besides how much to inflate them is a 56-4013. Does this mean it's 56 inches?? My daughter is 10 years old.



Answer
While frame size is used for adults, tire size is the method used for sizing children. Age indicates size needed but height is better.

My daughters are 9 and 11.5. My 9 year old has almost outgrown a 20" wheeled bike. And my 11.5 year old now rides a 24" mountain bike and has for 2 years. She is 56" tall now, a little short for her age.

The tire size is ALWAYS imprinted on the tire you just missed it. Try looking at the other side. It will say something like 20 x 1.75. 20 being the diameter of the tire and the 1.75 the width. Do not measure the wheel itself as it's not what is used. You also can simply measure the tire height with a yard stick. Standard tire sizes are 12, 16, 20, 24 and 26" for kids. I'd guess she currently has a 20" and needs a 24" now like my daughter

Since your daughter is in between my girls, I'm pretty sure you want to buy a 24" now. However if she is really tall, almost 5 feet tall, you may want a 26" bike.

What is the best, affordable mountain bike for kids who have outgrown their little tyke bikes?




coll49


We are looking for bicycles for 10-and 12-year-olds and want reasonable quality without paying a fortune


Answer
"best"
"affordable"
"reasonable"
"fortune"

The odds of everyone here agreeing on the parameters for those vague terms are quite slim. Probably none.

Very few bikes for pre-teens cost a fortune. Except for a couple special edition jobs and one Italian road bike, I can't think of any. If $300/bike is a fortune, then I can't help you. If $300-500/bike is affordable, you'll have some choices at your local bike shop. Trek and Specialized are just two of the numerous manufacturers of high quality bikes that offer products for riders of every age.

Trek's MT240 lists for $549
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/kids/ages_9_12/mt240/

Trek's MT220 lists for $349
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/kids/ages_9_12/mt220/

Specialized has various Hotrock 24 models from $330 to $420
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCExperience.jsp?eid=164

Other good makes to consider include Jamis and KHS among others. All of these better quality bikes come with good components, factory warranty, and service provided by an authorized dealer. Avoid department store bikes and you should be just fine.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment