Saturday, November 9, 2013

What is a good bmx bike for a 13 year old?

best kids mtb bikes on The Dirt Bike Kid (1985) - ShareTV
best kids mtb bikes image



Beer Can


I'm only a beginner, in fact I haven't even started yet. I can ride a bike and I am very coordinated. I'm only 5 feet tall, so take that into consideration. And I'm looking for quality, but affordable prices


Answer
Based on your age and request for affordable I did a search for you. I'm really stressing the affordable here, but trying to get good worked into the mix.

I did a brand neutral search, I set the upper price to $150, searched for BMX and looked for the lowest cost one that didn't make me want to blow chunks just looking at it, and I found one.

I found the Diamonback Viper.

It's not that great, lose ball BB, one piece crank, freewheel, and an all on steel plate for a chain wheel. It meets the affordable request you asked for and it is better than a Wal-Mart bike, though not by a lot.

For $50 more you can get a Session that has a better chain wheel and a cassette hub.

These are "rock bottom" bikes. These are better than buying something from Wal-Mart or Academy, but they're still not "good".

Right at $300 I found a Kink Launch which is getting out of the rock-bottom zone.

These are Internet prices. I guarantee unless you live in an expensive area like Beverly Hills you're going to find better deals than this locally than on the web, you're just going to have to do some hoofing it between bike shops and what have you.

You are better off looking for good deals on Craigslist than buying a new one for your first bike if you don't have a ton of cash. Some of these Old School BMX bikes are quite good, and if you find one in good shape you set yourself apart as having a cool classic. Often you'll find brand new bikes someone bought and decided not to use and just want rid of, or a spoiled rich kid who didn't want a Haro BMX like their parents got them, they wanted a Specialized MTB. Of course they sell the Haro when their parents buy them an MTB.

I put an example of a really awesome deal on Craigslist in my area I would snatch up in a second if I were in the market for a 20" BMX (my old large self rides 24" cruisers now)

how can i promote an after school bike workshop?




Jack B


I am in high school, me, a friend and a teacher (who all have knowledge with mountain bikes) decided we would make a bike workshop. its on every tuesday after school, we fix bikes for free, or show them how. the only thing they have to pay is parts, E.G. new wheel.

We advertised with posters around the school. it has been 4 weeks now and noone has came. how can we get people in?



Answer
I developed and taught an 8 week bicycle repair program for 40 kids... they spent 4 hours a day, 5 days a week working with me. It was a success but very expensive to operate... it cost nearly $1000 per student.

It seems you are doing all you can, and I hope you aren't limiting the students to just MTBs since most are not going to have them... I bet you probably don't have a true MTB either but that is beside the point.

Um, its interesting you used "new wheel" as an example of what might have to be replaced. How about repairing the wheel? Wheels almost never have to be replaced...

Yours is a cool idea and I hope you get some interest.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment