Wednesday, March 19, 2014

When do kids usually take their training wheels off their bikes?




Mira





Answer
It depends on the child and when they feel comfortable taking them off. My youngest sister was 4, my other sister and my brother were both like 5, and I was about 7.

I've known kids who were as young as 3 who could ride a bike without training wheels and i've known kids as old as 10 who just felt comfortbale with taking the training wheeels off.

Most kids I think are about 4 to 6 years old though.

My son is 5 years old (although physically he is more on the level of a 3 year old) and he has just started riding a trike good about 6 months ago, and we are going to be getting him his own bike soon, but the training wheels are probably going to be on for quite awhile as he isn't going to be able to ride a two wheeler bike for a long time.

Balance bike or training wheels?




that brims


A little background: My eldest daughter wanted a bike a few years ago, and so we got her a really nice one with training wheels... which she is really nervous about riding. I'd forgotten how much training wheels suck. So here we are two years later, and she still can't ride a bike.

The question: Now my three year old wants a bike, so I'm wondering, does anyone have experience with those balance bikes? Are they worth it, or just kind of gimmicky? Should I just stick with the flawed, but time-tested training wheels? How did your kids learn to ride a bike?



Answer
Got my daughter a balance bike at age two (a Strider... light weight and sturdy.. the wood ones seem to break all the time and are very heavy.) She LOVES it and scoots around everywhere with it. At age three, got her a bike with training wheels.. she's still not taken that much interest in it, though rides it once in awhile for the novelty. We're thinking (she's nearly four) of taking the training wheels off... feel she might actually do better without them. IF she had been taller when we'd bought the Strider, might have gone right to a peddle bike and just removed the peddles and turned it into a balance bike in order to save $$.. BUT the Strider isn't that costly and I think it will likely have a resale value when it's time to move on from it.

My girl hasn't mastered the peddle bike yet, but she's a pro on the balance bike and she's really enjoyed it. Jury's still out on whether or not it helped her learn to ride a peddle bike, but regardless, she's had a blast with it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment