Sunday, November 17, 2013

How can i train my 4 month german sheperd?

best kids training bike on Harley Davidson Kids bike w/training wheels (Arlington/Lakeland) for ...
best kids training bike image



Marie


i want to train her, you know the basics like sit stay etc., what can i do to start off? and is there anything i should know about german sheperds? thanks!


Answer
You're really smart to think ahead like this. You have no idea how many owners don't even think of training until their large dog is fully grown and unruly!

The key with puppy training is to keep it positive and fun. It's got to be short periods of time throughout the day, so the puppy doesn't get impatient and bored.

'No' is the first command I teach my puppies. It's just a word they learn that means I am not happy with what they are doing and they'd better stop. Later on, they grow to realize that it will be followed by a command for what I want them to do instead. For example, I caught my dog trying to pull garbage out of the can when he was younger. When I told him 'no', he knew that meant to stop what he was doing.

The next important thing would be to teach your dog to come when called. I did this with my dogs by using a long length of clothesline and tying it to their collar. I'd let them have puppy fun out in the yard while I did yardwork or the like while keeping the other end of the line tied to me. At random, I'd stop, call my dog's name follow by the command 'come'. If they didn't listen because they were too busy doing puppy things, I'd give the line a jerk as a correction, and then repeat the command. The key is to always keep it in a happy voice and always have some kind of treat or toy for them when they come over to you and head the command.

Sit, down, and stay are pretty easy ones. It's just so important that a puppy understands 'no' and 'come'. It saved my dog's life on a couple of occasions. He once started chasing a kid that rode through our yard on a bike and was going to follow the kid out onto the street. I yelled, 'Buddy, NO, come!' and my dog stopped, turned around, and ran back to me.

How to get kids in shape for x-country ski season?




Frankie


My kids are considering cross country ski races next year, but just getting into it this year. They are taking beginning lessons now at the course where the Junior Nationals will be held in spring, so they are excited about that. My daughter is almost 8 and son is 10. What sort of things should they do over summer? What sort of games and exercises would be helpful? How to make it more fun so they don't get burned out?


Answer
First, place restrictions on their use of phones, tv, computer and the like. This will direct their focus to more physical activities, and they will train themselves. I recently attended an athletic training seminar, and one of the topics was training pre-teen athletes. The general consensus seems to be- don't. These young athletes' bodies are still developing, and by directing them to a more active lifestyle, they will keep fit by simply doing what kids do best- running, jumping, skipping, climbing trees, riding their bikes, etc.

Diet and rest are also important. Make sure they have a healthy diet, and limit their intake of processed foods. Let their body clocks dictate sleep and rest periods, when a child is tired, let them rest.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment