Wednesday, December 25, 2013

how long do I need to train for an IronMan Triathlon?

best youth triathlon bikes on Closeout Bikes at Erik's Bike Shop
best youth triathlon bikes image



Reopye


I know it's a long way off but Challenge UK are going to hold an Iron distance triathlon in September in 2012 in Henley. Now I thought about this a lot and I'm thinking of entering.

However, I'm currently in university and I won't finish until mid-June. After that I would have 3 months of uninterrupted time for training. I already have a good level of fitness (I'm on the university triathlon team) but I keep hearing about people who train for 30 weeks before an IronMan and I'm worried that I won't have enough time for training.

Could somebody who knows about triathlon - or who has done an IronMan - tell me just how long they take to train?

On a side note, I read somewhere that less than 1% of first-time attempts at an IronMan succeed. That sounds far too low to me. What's a better estimate?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies! =D



Answer
I don't think that you've gotten much useful advice so far. For starters, yes you can do this. I should also start by asking: do you want to finish or do you want to podium/PR/top 20 etc.? If you just want to finish, this is very do-able, esp. with a full summer to devote...so long as you have some time to train during the school year. Somewhere around 10% of competitors DNF in a triathlon so put that aside - most of those folks DNF due to either weather or nutrition issues they weren't prepared for. And hey -you have YOUTH on your side! The best way to plan on finishing this September 2012 IM is to build up to a Half Ironman either later this year or in the spring early summer of 2012. And train smart - quality and heart rate zone training will maximize the time you have without setting you up for injury. Quality training at an aerobic level will take you further than high intensity or tons of junk miles. And junk miles are useless if you have some imbalances and weaknesses that also set you up for injury. So, step one, think through what races you could do to lead up to this. Step two, figure out your heart rate zone. Step Three, get some biomechanical analysis of your swim stroke, bike and run technique so you can correct any glaring issues. My husband does this for tons of people, both local and via internet. I'm a good wife - I listen. Also a three-time IM finisher - all in my 50's. His contact - loucookson@gmail.com Hope this helps!

My first triatholon, I need help.?




Jay


I'm 15 and I'm going to compete in my first (youth) triatholon and I have a couple questions for anyone who knows about or has been in a triatholon. First of all, the race I'm doing is a 400m swim, 7 mile bike, and a 2 mile run. What are the transactions in between each like, do I change clothes after I swim, is it still part of the race? What should I wear for each? And what kind of bike do you recommend (I need to buy one)? Any additional information would be great, thanks.


Answer
Hi! First off, correct spelling is "triathlon" (although that mistake is one a lot of folks make). And the short periods between swim and bike, and between bike and run, are called "transitions." And they *do* count against your time, so you want to hurry through them!

Although there *are* specialized triathlon bikes that allow, and even require, you to stay in a low, flat-back, streamlined or "aero" (short for aerodynamically-efficient) position, it's far better to train on a so-called "road bike" (like the Tour de France riders use almost every day) with drop handlebars.

You can get *some* of the aero advantages of a triathlon bike from Profile Jammer GT bars:

http://www.profile-design.com/products/aerobars/jammer-gt/

which are installed onto your stock handlebars.

You've got to go to the best local bike shop in your area and get your bike properly fitted to you. Don't cut corners here.

It's important to be comfortable while you train, so you've gotta get cycling shorts, which have an integral pad to cushion your butt. You can race in a triathlon-specific suit which is essentially a swimsuit with a smaller version of that pad. Most ambitious triathletes race in these, so they don't change their clothes mid-race and thus lose time.

Finally you'll want to buy Yankz elastic laces and put them on your running shoes. That will save you substanial time in T2 (the second, or bike-to-run, transition).

Good luck, and write if you have further questions!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment