Thursday, May 22, 2014

How do I fix up a kid's bike?




Lexie


Okay, so I gave my childhood bicycle to my mom's friend's kid and she THRASHED it! The once beautiful leather seat is trashed, the chain is rusty and I'm guessing I won't be able to use it, she took the back tire off, and the bike's been sitting in the hot sun for a few months now. I am not happy right now. My mom wants to take it to the dump, but I'm not letting that happen. So can anyone please tell me what I should do! I know I need a new bike and both the front and back tires need to probably be replaced, since she won't give me back the tire she took off. So can you tell me what I need to get and how I need to put it on. Like doesn't the back tire have to connect to the brakes? Thanks.


Answer
Hey Lexie!

I'm sorry to hear something so precious to you was so abused. =(

From the details you provided, it looks like you will need a new:
1. Chain
2. Back rim + tubing + tire
3. Front rim + tubing + tire
4. Seat

Honestly, repairing yourself is not hard at all. Just be prepared to get a little dirty.
And since I do not know the following:
Bicycle type (beach cruiser, bmx, mountain bike, etc)
Size
Make and model...
I wouldn't be able to provide any more information than what I already have said. =/

Your best bet is to go to a nearby Bike shop and see what they have to say as far as repairing your bike. And be careful, they may want to charge you an outrageous price just for assembly...


Email me if you'd like help with the assembly, or anything else.
Take care!

Is there a bicycle seat that is BIG so it doesn't hurt my butt?




Wonderment


Something a little bigger that doesn't hurt to sit on? Nice comments only please...I'm making an effort to no have a big booty anymore here :)


Answer
Getting the right size and shape of saddle is a problem that vexes everyone from the newest rider to the most seasoned pro. No saddle is comfortable when you first start riding. Frankly, you've got to toughen up the bottom. If, however, you are still miserable after a several rides over a couple week period, you probably really do need a new saddle.

Saddle positioning makes a big difference and what is comfortable for you is not likely to work for someone else. I would start with the saddle perfectly level. Then try tipping the front end down a bit. Then try tipping the front end up. Keep in mind, pointing the saddle too far down will tend to throw your weight forward causing numbing of the hands and fatigue of the arms and shoulders. Likewise, tipping the seat too far up may cause pain and numbing of the bottom. As stated earlier, what is right for you is what is comfortable.

Good cycling shorts make a big difference, as well. The chamois in the seat of the shorts goes a long way to minimizing friction and provide some extra padding. If you don't like tight, racing shorts a number of companies make baggy shorts with a chamois.

The type of riding you do and the length of your rides will make a huge difference on the type of saddle you want. A wide seat will be most comfortable on a bike you sit very erect on, for relativly short durations. If you aspire to ride significant distances, a wide seat will prevent you from adopting an aerodynamic postion and will cause lots of chafing.

If you have a "comfort" bike or a "cruiser" on which you sit upright to pedal, you'll want a wider "comfort" saddle. Otherwise, because so much of your weight is on your bottom, you'll feel as if a narrow seat is splitting you in half.

If you have a mountain bike or road bike on which you adopt a more aerodynamic posture, a narrower, longer saddle is better. A narrower, longer saddle will allow you to bend over the handlebars, spread your weight over its length, and minimize chaffing of the insides of your thighs.

With respect to saddle width, Specialized and perhaps other companies, have done extensive anatomical studies to make comfortable saddles. They make lines of performance saddles that come in different widths to accomodate different bone stuctures. The Specialized fitting system involves sitting on a gel pad and measuring the indentations your pelvic bones make. You then select the width of saddle that fits your pelvic bones. I found I have a very narrow bone structure. (My kids call me a tight _ss, but I think they are referring to something else.) In any case, I've found the Specialized saddles to be very comfortable.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment