Saturday, August 3, 2013

Help identifying the model of this Gary Fisher mountain bike?

best kids mountain bike 24 on Bikes 2U Direct -- Mountain bikes : Front suspension -- Saracen ...
best kids mountain bike 24 image



Anna and


Looking for a mountain bike for my boyfriend for Xmas but I dont know anything about them and dont want to get ripped off. The guy doesnt know the model of this Gary Fisher bike so i cant look up more info on it. Here is a picture:

http://i49.tinypic.com/160y5c2.jpg

He is asking $200 for it. Good deal or not?



Answer
Hard to tell really from the small, low-res pic, but it looks like an older kids bike. Judging the size of the rings vs. tires, its probably 24" wheels. Stem assembly suggests that its at least 12-14 years old. Or really cheap.

I certainly wouldn't pay $200 for it.

What's the optimal handlebar width for mountain biking (all-mountain style)? High or low rise? ?




I Shouldn'


I'm 6'0" and most concerned about control going down, but twisty technical single track is also important. Thx...


Answer
Well....you have optimal body fit, and you have optimal riding style. Bars are generally chosen by the width of your shoulders as a starting point. Grab a broomstick with one hand and hold it out in front of you horizontally while putting your other hand on it. If you measure that outside distance, this is most likely where you're going to be most comfortable.

Cross country bars started to get ridiculously narrow for a few years. I have a couple old flat bars that I cut down to 22-1/2" and 23-1/4". I just look at them sadly now and wish I had that metal back. lol. The trend lately has been with wider 25"-28" bars and for good reason. Wider bars do give you a little better control, but they also tend to give people less discomfort in their shoulder blades, neck, and hands....especially if you ride aggressively or take drops and jumps. When I made the switch to wide bars, I immediately noticed that my hands felt fresher and on longer rides/urban drop rides the twinge in my lower neck/between the shoulder blades went away.

As far as rise, sweep, and bend, it's just personal preference. You can use different rises to dial in your cockpit height/fit on a particular bike/fork combo.

I ride 31.8mm 27-1/2" bars with a 1.5" rise now and I think I found my sweet spot with them. I'm 6' tall, 34" sleeve, 43" chest. When I get on other people's xc bikes that have 24" and 25" bars it feels like I'm riding a kid's bike and a little too twitchy for my liking. Keep in mind that if you have twisty trails lined with trees, wide bars will add some more challenge and you might find yourself jacking your wheel and flying over the bars if you aren't careful. I did that a couple times at first. lol. :o)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment