Friday, July 26, 2013

What do you do when others guilt you about leaving children for the weekend?

best toddler girl bike on Children Models Little Girls by Niklas
best toddler girl bike image



SnapIt!!


My daughter is 6, and we've been going through a rough patch, but for the most part, we're fine. It's just me and her in the house. I dirt bike on a regular basis, while my daughter's with friends or with my sister. I recently joined a group, and we're going away this weekend. I haven't been away from my daughter in months. I asked her dad if he'd watch her (which he never does), and he is guilting me about leaving Friday night, all day Saturday, and returning that night. I'm having my very good friend stay tonight, my daughter's toddler teacher hand out with her on Saturday, and my sister taking her Saturday night in the event something happens with the weather, and I can't return until Sunday. My mother is also on my case about me leaving "so often". I work full time, I'm home in the evenings and just about every weekend. I might take a few hours out of my Saturday and go ride for a while, but that's only if I have a sitter. My daughter's not old enough to come with me, yet. I'm not sure how much time is too much time.
Also, activities. Because of the fact, I'm on my bike a lot, especially in the summer, I want my daughter to come out with me, but her dad says if I do that, he'll have me in for child abuse because dirt bikes and motorcycles are "unsafe" at her age. I want to do activities as a woman, and I want my daughter to go with me, but she can't and I still get guilted into leaving her behind. I've given up a lot to be a mom (friends, night out, girl time with friends, etc). Should I give up personal activities, as well?



Answer
Ask yourself, would a man do this - secure babysitting to go off and have fun - and feel guilty? Of course not. Would he be stupid enough to want to take along a six-year-old girl? Of course not. Think like a man. You have a right to a private life. Some things are better not shared. Risky stunts like dirt biking is an example.

How to potty train a boy when daddy works all the time?

Q. I have a 2 year old that I really need to start potty training. It is much easier with a girl. LoL I am wondering what is the best way to potty train my son since his dad is always busy?


Answer
Being a former preschool teacher and home childcare provider, I have potty trained MANY children and dozens of little boys..... There are lots of articles on the subject - but here is my personal experience:

1) A man does NOT have to be the one to teach a boy...Besides you are better off having small boys who are just learning - to SIT on the toilet and hold their "privates" facing down into the toilet, as opposed to standing. They can learn standing later after they are fully potty trained.

2) It is important for YOU to be relaxed about this whole thing. Learning to use the toilet is a natural transition stage in a child's life and shouldn't be rushed. When the parent is anxious... so will the child be.

3) There are exceptions to every rule (both of my own children were potty trained before their 2nd birthdays) -- But this is not the norm. Most toddlers begin to naturally lean towards using the potty between 2 1/2 yrs to 3yrs. And on the other end -- there are children who are still not potty trained at 3 1/2- 4.

4) The bottom line is that when a child is READY to be potty trained, my experience has been that it has NEVER taken longer than 3 days - week -- TOPS!!!! HONESTLY!!!

---- HOWEVER ---- and this is HUGE..... When a child is rushed to be potty trained before they are ready... it can take several months.... 'causing undue stress and anxiety on both child and parent..... AND... in many cases these children go on to have many more accidents than those who were not rushed.

I have seen it time and time again... a child going from adamantly refusing to use the toilet.... to one week later doing a complete about face and being totally potty trained in a matter of days.

5) The best time to begin potty training is to take your cue from the child.... When they show an interest in sitting on the toilet... or when they are "fed-up" wearing diapers... START.

6) Give them an INCENTIVE to use the potty.... something like "stickers" everytime they go.... and then give them a sticker to wear -- and another one on a chart. When they earn so many stickers -- they get a reward (try not to use candy...)

7) Give them a really great reward when they are fully potty-trained (Fully = wearing underwear.. and staying dry through the night on a regular basis) -- A really great reward for our children was a new bike. Make it something THE CHILD wants.... could be a movie, a toy, whatever... The idea is that they will be self-motivated to do it.

8) DON'T BELITTLE, SCOLD, YELL, COMPARE TO OTHER SIBLINGS OR OTHER KIDS, etc.... Some children are afraid of the toilet.. Use positive reinforcement only. -- And comparing is another way of belittling or humiliation.

9) Make the bathroom a fun place... with pictures, singing songs, whatever.... Put a photo or picture of something that interests your child at eye level across from the toilet.

10) Once you have started the potty training... Do "potty prompts" every 1/2 hr.... IE... every 1/2 hr ask if they have to go, & physically take them there if they have been dry for an hour -- even if they say they don't need to. Young children sometimes do not recognize the sensation of "having to go" -- and it is amazing when you put them on the toilet and they get surprised because the pee-pee comes out.

****** PULL-UPS ********

This is such a tough area..... But based on my experience again... When a child is started on potty training on their timing -- no parent should have to purchase more than one box of pull-ups.

Pull-ups are GREAT and BAD.... We all know the "great" reasons... But here are the "not-so-great" aspects....

They are way more expensive than diapers -- so if you start using them too early... it is going to cost you a lot. They have a tendancy to leak out the sides... ruining clothes, furniture, etc... They definitely are not designed to hold BMs... and kids at this age have larger BMs . -- Pull-ups have "stay dry" linings so that many times, children will runaround with a full pull-up and not feel a need to be changed.

What I have found works with pull-ups is to start using them when a child has begun to "tell you" that they need to go -- OR -- at the very least they are holding it naturally until you prompt them to go....

.... And for the child who wants to wear pull-ups because they are sick of diapers, and pull-ups are cute but they aren't at all interested in the potty...... USE THIS AS AN INCENTIVE.... Say, "Okay Johnny... Pull-ups are for big boys who are trying to use the potty.... If you will at least try.... Then you can wear pull-ups" (etc.)

Once you put them in pull-ups.... DO NOT change them like they were diapers.... (unless you have to).... treat them like underwear.

What really works for most kids is when they are home with you for the day (and "they" are ready for potty training) -- let them wear underwear..... If they have an accident... Most children immediately feel the sensation of wetness and do not like it and will run to the bathroom -- or at least tell you. This feeling quickly teaches them to recognize the sensation of having to go.... Of course you will have to deal with the mess... But if you are okay with that.... then most parents I have dealt with have found this worked for them -- and many times a student of mine has gone home on a Friday wearing pull-ups and by Monday they are in underwear.

My final word of advice on this is, once again.... RELAX -- This can be -- or actually -- SHOULD BE a fun and rewarding transition.... not one full of strife.

... Oh... one other thing... about the standing.... Little boys love to watch their Dads pee (let him)... But Mom's make the best teachers because we teach them to wipe themselves, wipe around the rim, put the seat down AND wash their hands! These are lifelong lessons that go a long way.... And their future wives will thank you!!! *LOL*




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment