Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What kind of bike should I get?




metropolis


Haro Heartland Ltd Comfort Bike '10 - $349.99

Diamondback Insight 1 700c Men's Hybrid Bike - $399.99

I want a bike that is good for long distances and that can handle my weight. I would attempt to stay on paved roads, but there is really no telling where I will end up. I am 6'4" and 220lbs. With that said, I was wondering if a 29er would be better.



Answer
Depends on what year of Diamondback - and I'm not kidding. The 2010 model uses a SRAM PG-820 8spd Cassette (11-32t). Key word being "cassette". The 2011 model uses a Shimano HG-20 7spd (12-28t) freewheel.

The cassette will have a lower 1st gear for pulling hills & a freehub set up - not a freewheel. Much stronger.

This type of bike is NOT intended for off-road use. It may handle a light trail of finely crushed gravel or packed earth at slower speeds. But I wouldn't take it purely "off-road". What makes me so sure? I OWN a 2009 Diamondback Insight.

I need advice on a good hybrid bike?




Sy


The last time I rode a bike was like 5 years ago when I was a kid. Now the big craze is biking among my friends. So I am looking to get a hybrid bike and I am a total newb when it comes to bikes. I stepped into a bike shop and the man recommended a raleigh route 4.0 model 2010 for $300. Is this a good deal? And if not can anyone point me towards a place to find some really good deals. Thank you.


Answer
Since a bike can last just about forever, get the best bike you can afford. Now Raleigh bikes are good entry level bikes, so if you are happy with the Route 4.0, no reason not to go there. But try thinking ahead. If you think you may really like cycling, the you can still get a hybrid, but maybe one with a straight top tube rather than the cut out like the old girls bikes (say a Raleigh Alysa FT1 or FT2, or a Trek FX 7.2 WSD or FX 7.3 WSD). You will still ride upright, but it will be a bit more forward leaning. Try them out, see what your friends are riding, pick one and enjoy.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment