Thursday, November 28, 2013

Does anyone know how suitable minature horses are as pets for small children?

best kids bike 6 yr old on Institute Of Actuaries' Text Book Of The Principles Of Interest, Life ...
best kids bike 6 yr old image



bella


We are thinking of getting a mini for our 5 yr old , we live on a farm and have horses/ bunnies etc but I dont know much about minatures and have heard some nasty stories about kids with sheltlands anyone out there know more?


Answer
I'm going to get up on my soap box to answer this.
1st. Most Minature horses are Shetland ponies!!!!!
2nd. Any horse or animal is only as good as it's training.
I'm trying to be polite but this is something that just makes me angry.
Minis have two registries. One is ran by the Shetland pony club and is the older of the registries. They have two sections, A and B, with the B being the taller and ponies this size are not allowed in the other registry. This other registry was started mostly because of the poor press that Shetlands have gotten and they wanted to distance themselves from them. Hench the "They're not ponies, they're miniature horses" line. Most smaller ponies are registered with both registries and many are also reg. with the Shetland pony club.
The really small ones really aren't meant for riding and can't carry much more than 30 pounds. They are nice for driving though a larger pony is able to pull more and go farther.
Finding a well broke pony isn't easy. Usually the really good ones are never offered to the general public. They tend to stay in a family being used as a driving pony between generations or being sold or leased to family friends. But they are out there and they are usually expensive.
As to nasty stories about kids and shetlands; what kind of stories would you hear about kids being turned out to ride and handle unbroke quarter horses? Just because they are small doesn't mean they aren't still horses and have to be trained as horses and the children have to be taught to handle them.
I've been around ponies since I got my first unbroke Shetland pony in 1960. I was 6. My daddy broke her to drive and then I rode while he drove. We went out every single day for at least 15 minutes and sometimes my poor daddy walked for a couple of hours. After about 4 months or so of this I was allowed to ride by myself in the arena and then the next spring I went out on the roads with my daddy on the bike. By the middle of the summer I was riding with some friends whose ponies had been taught to drive by my daddy and then they had followed the same routine we had.
So, while some minis have some Falabella blood in them most are nothing more than extra small Shetlands.

What age should my child learn how to tie his shoes and ride a bike without training wheels?




Kelly


I want answers from parents who have multiple children and know the correct answer to this question, PLEASE! no teenage kids that think they know how to give advice :o)
Please list the ages that your children were when they learned these things .. i am trying to figure out if my son is progressing as he should be .. he does have hyperactivity disorder and is on medicine.
Thanks :)
He turned 5 this month & isnt in kindergarten yet .. should i let loose and not worry so much?!



Answer
6 on the bike at least half of kids are riding a two wheeler without training wheels @ the start of 1st grade. The bike range though is the same as beginning reading 4-8 is the typical acquisition of these things. The bike is also how much access a child has to it. Because this generation of kids don't play freely outside unsupervised like we did, its growing later.

Tying laces, its expected by 2nd grade, most kids can do it earlier if they are taught. The velcro invention has really thrown the present generation of kids back on the shoe tying.

I'm 38, rode a bike @ 4 1/2, tied shoes @ 5 1/2

My children have complex developmental delays
they are 10 yrs today bike riding he doesn't do (dyspraxic), but read @ 6, tying shoes he can do sloppily and has been able to do since 7.

My 5 yr old has been reading since 3, can't ride a bike or tie shoes. Haven't begun either with him. He loves to peddle a trike though.

My 4 yr old does none of these he still has trouble dressing himself. He really doesn't even peddle a trike.

just look @ bikes in the toy stores. It used to be that a 12" bike came with training wheels, now 16" and even 20" come with them.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment